Transparent Rigged Mesh - Issue with my mesh?

Adele Bumblefoot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all !

I write here after many hours of testing :(
I created a rigged mesh that I would like to be transparent. However, there is an issue with it.When I rez it on the ground, the transparency is as expected. When I wear it on my avatar, it is totally opaque.

The same item , when unrigged, appears as transparent as expected, rezzed or attached to the avatar.

This only happens in viewers based on the latest SL Official viewer with materials (SL Official and Firestorm Beta) and only when Hardware skinning is on combined with Advanced Lighting Model being off. So, to sum it up, my rigged mesh appears opaque when worn when my graphics are Hardware Skinning on and Advanced Lighting Model off.

I have checked whether this happens to transparent items other people have created, for example two fur coats I have bought but I could not reproduce it  I tried creating another rigged mesh item ( a simple rigged cube ), made it transparent and I saw the same buggy behaviour.

I assume it is something wrong with my version of dae and the new graphic settings of the viewer - Any ideas as to what could create this issue would be so appreciated!

Link for download of my DAE and FBX in case anyone wants to try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ui6aovdfehha9c/test%20cube%20rigged.fbx
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg5kt1uhgf5hjsk/test%20cube%20rigged.dae

Thanks in advance for reading :)

Re-reading this and looking at the model (Which isnt much to look at) this sounds more like a texturing issue than a rigging issue. Is this model transparent as soon as you upload it? Or after you set transparency on it or after you texture transparency?

The item is opaque when I upload it, the texture I am applying to it is opaque and I am setting the transparency through the Edit menu, in Second Life. When I am applying a transparent texture, it works perfectly.

So, the bug is..setting transparency for rigged mesh in-world.

( My original issue was on a rigged mesh cape though I figured it happens to any rigged mesh - hence the simple rigged cube )

I tested your rigged cube. I uploaded it, wore it and then edited the tranparency. The transparency works ok for me. So there is nothing wrong with your test mesh.

I did this test in beta grid (Aditi) at Mesh Sanbox 1.
Using: Firestorm beta 4.5.1.38838
Advanced Lighting Model on.

EDIT:

Ah, yes. I forgot to test: Advanced Lighting Model off with Hardware Skinning on.
Transparency does not work then.

EDITED AGAIN:

But the transparency works when I use a texture which has transparency (instead of using the transparency via Edit menu).

The transparency via Edit menu only works when it is set to 100%, nothing less works.
(When advanced Lighting Model is off and Hardware Skinning is on.)

So to circumvent this bug the only way is to use texture which has transparency.

Setting transparency from the editor is broken on rigged mesh. For viewers with materials support, it only works if advanced lighting is turned on. If advanced lighting is disabled, only the 0 and 100 settings work as expected. Alpha channels inside a diffuse texture are not affected, only the editor setting, so that is your workaround.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.