Unable To Connect To Second Life. Service Unavailable.

LittleKiiva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Login > Preview of last login location while it tries to connect > Returns to login screen with a pop-up "Unable To Connect To Second Life. Service Unavailable."

I've been struggling with this problem all day, evening and now all night. Is there something wrong with the servers and is there anything I can do to get in-world? I need to pay my rent soon. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Kiiva, you know that yesterday and today aren't the best days to do anything in SL, right? Nevertheless they should let you log in. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Have you checked your connection, did you conduct a speedtest, does your internet work at all, are the ports to SL open, have you tried log in to another location?

Orca Flotta wrote:

Kiiva, you know that yesterday and today aren't the best days to do anything in SL, right? Nevertheless they should let you log in. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Have you checked your connection, did you conduct a speedtest, does your internet work at all, are the ports to SL open, have you tried log in to another location?

There are NO rolling restarts this week.  :)

You can always check the maintenance schedule and look for notes about unscheduled maintenance on the Grid Status Blog.  As Perrie says, however, there is no scheduled maintenance on sims this week.

Try logging in at a different sim, preferably a quiet, low-lag one like Pooley, Furball, or Smith. 

I wonder, though, are you taking about logging into SL itself or logging into SL web pages?  When you get a "Service Unavailable" (503) message, that's usually associated with a web server.  I've never seen that message from SL's servers in world.  If you have been trying to log in to SL by clicking on a SLURL on a web page, use your normal viewer's login screen instead.

I've tried to log in to other locations just in case my home sim might have been down, but I've had no luck. I'm able to log in to the web pages just fine though, but logging in via the viewers is proving to be very difficult. I can't seem to connect to any region and sometimes I don't even get the loading bar. Just a little flash and then the message pops up.

Yes, my connection works just fine as I'm able to connect to other online cames. I've tried several other locations to rezz at and I still can't seem to get in-world. Though, I did finally get to pop in for a moment, but when I logged out... I was unable to log back in and got the same pop-up again.

I'm starting to wonder if the servers are a little backed up. Maybe too many people trying to get on at once? I don't really know how that works, but it sounds like it could be a possibility.

Not likely. I have been in and out all day, and there are plenty of other people coming and going.  There are 54,870 people in world at the moment. If there were a major problem like that, it would be on the Grid Status Blog by now and we'd see a flood of people with your complaint instead of the usual one or two. 

Being able to connect fine to other online games doesn't mean a thing.  Unlike on-line games, SL moves a lot of data back and forth in real time and is very sensitive to instability or corrupted data streams.  An Internet connection that is vulnerable to local interference -- as many wireless connections are,  for example -- might never be noticed by many on-line games but will crash SL.  Similarly, if your ping time fluctuates wildly, so that data are slow arriving at the servers, your connection can time out.

I am still puzzled by that specific message, which is not a typical SL error message.  I'm wondering if it isn't coming from your own ISP or local network.  You aren't on a university campus or in a corporate setting, are you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.