Secondlife crashes after at the most a minute of run time.

BEGOCER Lehmann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently picked up a new computer running Windows 8, and it's specs ensure it had absolutely no issues running the game at maximum settings.

But about a month ago the game started to freeze right after it booted up. I figured it was just something messing up so I reinstalled and tried agian. It did the same no matter what was going on; I was standing around doing nothing, it would still freeze. There were times were it run for over 2 minutes until I tried to open my inventory or pan my camera then it would freeze. No crash logger would come up, the game would just seize up and become unresponsuve

I thought it was a Firestorm issue but I tried every single viewer I know of, and the same issue has come up.

I have a raging clue that my wifi connection is the culprit here as there are days where it refuses to even be considered wifi.

There are also days where the wifi is at a near perfect strength, but the game still crashes. It's bloody annoying as I haven't been on this game more than an hour in the past month. And I love this game.... I need my prim fix, man!

Help.... please...

3 answers to this question

A bad connection is unlikely to crash the viewer. You'll get various error messages and be disconnected, but crashing from a connection problem is rare. But, if you want to check your connection read: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

Assuming Windows 8 on a hot machine is going to let you run at full max is not realistic. The Firestorm support guy Ed Merryman harps on that fact. People with US$3,000+ machines find out the hard truth that max settings for SL cause problems.

The first thing to do is turn your graphics settings to LOW. I imagine you'll hate that, but try it. If you stop crashing, it is a settings related thing.

Then start advancing the setting toward Ultra. When you start to crash, start the viewer without logging in. Look at the settings and note them, screen captures are good. Notice the Hardware setting in Preferences too. Now back off one notch in the graphics settings and log in. You should not be crashing.

Now look at your settings and manually move individual settings toward the Ultra value. eventually you'll find the setting that is crashing the viewer. That one is going to have to remain at a lower value. others can be pushed.

In general it is the Distance settng that is most likely to cause problems. You can try a short cut to the above process. Just before logging in set you graphics to Ultra. Then back off the distance to 128 meters. then log in.

If these tests are not working, get your graphics card make and model and search for it in the Sl Forum and SLUniverse forum to see if others with that card are having problems. If they are they have probably found a fix.

===========

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection.

Without that information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

=====

You can also look in the Second Life log to see the cause of the crash. Look in: C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs. Find SecondLife.log

• Like 1

I've put the game to the lowest settings, put the network settings to the maximum and minimum, tried over a dozen different attempts at things and it still crashes. I'll raid my logs and see what comes up tonight.

I'm also using a desktop on a wireless connection; I'll post specs of my computer tonight as well. This sort of situation has happened before but it disappeared for a few months then this current situation began, but the previous time was nowhere near was bad as this, I was able to get at least 30 minutes of game time before it whitescreened.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.