what causes rainbow and flickering effects on graphics?

Flare Coba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having issues along those lines. Intel graphics card, windows 8, and I just checked for updates so everything is up to date. Anyone able to help?

Updating question

1) The make and model of your PC or Laptop

It's a Samsung. Don't really know more details. Purchased about 6 months ago if that helps.

2) Your Operating System

As I mentioned Windows 8, much to my dismay

3) The make and model of your computer's Graphics Card or Subsystem.

Intel HD 4000 me thinks

4) The Speed and quality of your ISP.

Don't remember.

5) [Optional] A bag of Chocolate for the SL Answers Volunteers

Would be happy to, if I could.

Update:

Attempts to update as suggested have failed. Contacting Samsung themselves to see if further updates can be seen.

Update again:

Per Samsung's instructions, all updates have been performed. My driver is up to date as far as they see. However, the issue is still there.

5 answers to this question

A number of PCs and Laptops are being sold these days with either the Intel® HD Graphics nnnn subsystems embedded on the motherboard. Below is a link to test results for all the current Intel GPU processors and related support architectures electronics. You can select the version you have on your equipment and see it's specs and it's benchmark scores.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600.86106.0.html

I posted the start of this wonderful report at NotebookCheck.net with the best of the crop - the  Intel® HD Graphics 4600

While SecondLife is not specifically tested for, you can see how the various shipping Intel hardware versions fare against other mainline game packages. Notice that the Intel HD Graphics products only start showing up in the Class 3 list of Graphics Processing. Intel has nothing that qualifies for the Class 1 & Class 2 groupings. :( - This does not bode well for Intel Graphics running any advanced gaming software like SecondLife. Further SL utilizes the OpenGL VBO services for a number of advanced graphics chores. You can turn off this capability on the Intel equipped PC to get pass the horrible artifacts many of this class of GPUs presents on screen such as what you are describing.

So we can help your further, please update your question with the following information as follows: Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question.

1) The make and model of your PC or Laptop

2) Your Operating System - [X] Windows 8

3) The make and model of your computer's Graphics Card or Subsystem.

4) The Speed and quality of your ISP.

5) [Optional] A bag of Chocolate for the SL Answers Volunteers

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Flare

Really and truly, Windows 8 is not the problem here, apart from it being as different to "drive", as a Ford car is to a Mini.

But your graphics card is. Rainbow and flickering effects are often a sign of overheating and protestations being made by a card that is just too heavily loaded.

:matte-motes-frown:

From http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-Intel-HD-4000-graphics-issues/ta-p/2213993

Troubleshooting Intel HD 4000 graphics issues

Graphical errors in the Second Life Viewer

If you are running Second Life on a PC with an Intel HD 4000 graphics processor with outdated drivers, you may experience some or all of the following symptoms:

• Color corruption on buttons and floaters
  • Flickering user interface (UI) components such as buttons and menus
  • All inworld textures appear black when S3TC is enabled in the Hardware Settings section of the Graphics Preferences window
  • Seemingly random or intermittent crashing while not performing a specific activity

These issues may be resolved by downloading and installing the latest Intel HD 4000 driver from Intel's download center.

Second Life crashes when logging out on a secondary monitor

Second Life may crash when you try to log out while the Second Life Viewer is displayed on a secondary monitor.  This issue only occurs when the viewer window is maximized; you can avoid this crash by either moving the viewer window to your primary monitor or unmaximizing the window before logging out.

This issue may be resolved in a future update to the Intel HD 4000 graphics driver.

Unfortunately: Linden Lab is booting this directly into Intel's Court to resolve on a performance basis. IMHO, the Intel HD 4000 series is a very weak and in many ways flawed graphics subsystem. It performs well for dual monitor display of basic business graphics and is also designed for video playback display. 3D graphics rendering support capabilities are clearly an afterthought. This may not be getting better in the future as Intel does not see it's Graphics Subsystem audience outside of the Video Media & Business Graphics crowd.

The problem is your Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.  Graphics that are a part of the CPU chip like this work for some people, but they will never be great, and they are not guaranteed to work with SL at all.

If you can add a discrete graphics card to your computer, such as an Nvidia GeForce card, do so.  If you're using a laptop and can't upgrade the graphics, then your choices are very limited:  stop using Second Life, or get a better computer.  By "better", I'm not dissing your Samsung.  I'm sure it's fine for the tasks it was designed for.  But SL is very graphics intensive and you need a powerful graphics system to run it well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.