Changing collision volume?

Pandora Wrigglesworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There certainly isn't a way to do it with LSL. If you are making your large avatar as a new mesh object, of course, you can control its physics shape as you build it in Blender or whatever.  Otherwise, AFAIK there's no way to alter the physics shape of an existing avatar.

I can't think of a way to do anything with LSL.  You can't move an avatar with a script, so even if you detected an obstacle, there'd be no way to do anything but raise an annoying alarm.  Besides, it wouldn't help much if you're worried about walking through narrow doorways anyway.  If the av were seated on something that you could move with a control script, of course, that would make the av and the seat phantom, but that would be limiting if you wanted to do anything other than walking.

ETA:  And, as Cerise says, it wouldn't work if you are in a no-rez area.

That is probably as good as you will get, if your aim is an "eyeryday" avatar that feels somewhat realistic to its wearer.

If the giant was part of some kind of game environment, a plan B might be some kind of transparent sit-on vehicle thing, but that's a serious letdown for general use in a world with so much no-rez land.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Avatars can be moved with several of the physics functions, and in many cases the autopilot feature will kick in and make if look, well not awesome, but not so bad.

Are you thinking of perhaps wearing a scripted object that llPushes you away from things you are colliding with?  That doesn't seem like much of an improvement over just colliding with them.  Could be fun, though.

It can even be simpler, just a bit of llMoveToTarget to drag the avatar to the last known spot without collisions. It looks wonderfully silly, and I've always thought that leash scripts should spin particle birds or stars around the wearer's head.

Sometimes the most fun comes from letting SL act like SL.

Yes, I have experimented with using llMoveToTarget() although I calculated a new position based on the direction and normal of the colliding surface. Relying on the last known safe position fails to account for moving objects and other avatars. I'm just worried about how server intensive it might be to test 16 raycasts once a second. I've been hoping for a simpler solution.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.