friend is constant cloud and deactivated gestures

Galaxar Darkstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My friend has some issues with Second Life recently.  Each time she logs on, her gestures are all deactivated.  We tried to activate a lot of her gestures at once  by dropping a folder full of gestures on her avatar.  Starting the day after this, she has always been a cloud.  Changing outfits doesn't help, either.  She might be having issues with attachement, not sure though.  The viewer doesn't seem to matter.  She has tried Singularity and the official Second Life viewer.  I can see her inworld just fine.  There isn't another computer she could test her account in.  At this time, she is using the latest version of Singualrity, which is 1.8.3.  She is using a PC running Windows 7 SP1.  Intel® Core™ i7-2600 with 8 GB of RAM.    Video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB 16X PCIe.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Galaxar Darkstone

2 answers to this question

Hi Galaxar,

It sounds like your friend's computer is up to the task, so it may be her connection that's getting in the way. Has her recent difficulty coincided with a change in her computer setup, other than your experiment with gestures? If she's on wi-fi, advise her to try a wired connection to her network if possible, or to relocate closer to the router.

Here's a link with suggestions for checking/improving the quality of an SL connection...

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

If you have more information to provide, edit your question via "Options" over there on the right. This will keep our answers all in one place and prevent other people's questions from being pushed off the front page.

ETA: I found a thread dealing with large scale gesture problems (though not quite like you've described)...

ETA2: I think Rolig has your answer!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Broken-links-Gestures-help/qaq-p/2060377

Good luck!

Your friend may have one or more "bad" gestures.  In brief, one or more gestures may fail to load properly and cause the viewer to time out or to leave some processes unfinished.  Some people find that if they don't clear cache each time, they get logged out within seconds of logging in, or perhaps they are ruthed or a cloud every time, or even that they crash shortly after log in.  In some cases, you will see that there is an error in loading one or more gestures. If you do, make careful note of which ones, then find them and deactivate them - or better, delete them. If there is no such message, then please read http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/gesture_issues

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.