Scripts not loading properly.

Devehn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Me and my friends are having trouple with our simple open and close scripts on things like wings and legs. It's not just me, its everyone, everywhere we go, they are failing to open/close propperly leaving objects behind and such. Failing to texture propperly or not texturing at all. These are things that normally run fine. I've even changed my viewer. The only thing i can conclude is that somethings going on serverwide causing them to bug out. not sim or computer. 

Edit: OKay so when i say leaving objects behind. IT's a skript that turns things transparent when you fly as there is a duplicate set of prims. one in the open format and one in the closed. It's just a skript that picks up when you fly or land. 

as for my friends that are having the sme problem. it's a gun that's representing on the hand or on the back. 

basically the open close skripts are failing to turn transparentcy on and off on objects. so some of the prims are left visible while others are not.

it's not just these skripts. I have an item i was tryign to change the color on through the texture hud and this normally works but it was failing. 

Item's are also refusing to res on our characters, or on the ground. It's a great many things wrong, and the number keeps piling up.

I've moved off sim to check to see if it fixes these things to a sandbox with no lag, and it did not fix. I resent the sim we are on, It did not fix, We've relogged, Did not fix, I've reset the skripts in all these things, did not fix.

I don't see how the skripts would suddenly be broken. The wings and feet of my character i've had for 2 years, only since update has things started to break like this.

edit:2 

I'm not on wireless, our internet connection is fine. It's not happening to just me but two other people as well.

I've even tried switching veiwers.

none of this makes any sense except to be an internal problem. why else would it be happening to others i'm talking to?

Edit3:Madelaine

two different friends living in different parts of the contry. having the same problems.

edit4: here are some pictures of me and my two other friends suffering the same problems with different objects, we are all on different computers in different area's of the US.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gg9qa67b0a679u/glitches_001.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nja66y2h2r1fadg/glitches_002.png

note the barrel of his gun sticking out on his hand. that happened when he opened and closed it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd8fd2jlt019hfm/glitches_003.png
the finger and nail of his wing detached from the rest floating in the air. (are part of the wings open feature)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzto9y0d422ulng/glitches_005.png
my wings doing the same thing.

we are each using a different viewer. SL viewer, Firestorm, And Singularity. 

edit5: 

7 answers to this question

Hi Devehn,

Without knowing more about your scripts, it's difficult to determine what's going on. I'm curious about your claim that the scripts are "leaving objects behind" which suggests the scripts aren't just a simple open and close thing. A script containing no code to rez objects would not start doing so because of a server glitch.

Come back and edit your question to provide more information using "Options" over there on the right.

ETA: Devehn, are your friends on different computers in different locales? If so, this becomes hard to explain. But if you are sharing an internet connection, Rolig's suggestion to check your network connection is what I'd recommend.

Well, it's not happening to me or anyone I can see around here, so it's not grid wide.  That's very unlikely anyway.  Without knowing how your scripts work,  it's impossible to tell why they are acting up, but chances are good that you just have a flaky Internet connection.  Try getting off wireless.

I would like to contribute to the thread by noting that I am also having these sorts of issues with my bat wings that are set to open and close as I fly or land.

I have a wire connect that is hooked up straight to my router. I also have a wireless on my laptop. Neither of them work. I can reload my AO's and log out which may fix it for a moment but the moment I try to fly again it wont work properly. Either one wing will be closed or some pieces of the open wing remain when I land.

Nothing new about my computers or my internet. All have remained the same. I have used the same viewer since I started SL, and I have had the same avatar/wings as well. I hope that helped!

Thank you for adding all of that explanatory detail.  I still don't know what's going on, but at least now I know what's not happening. You don't have things being left behind.  You don't have things failing to open and close. You have objects or textures failing to rez.  That's good to know.  It's also good to know that it's not the scripts, because that wouldn't have made much sense.  It's a rendering issue.

So, to try and narrow it down let's try some questions....

1. What graphics card are you using?  When did you update graphics drivers?

2. What are your graphics settings?  Specifically.... (a) Quality slider setting? (b) Is Advanced Light ing on? © Shadows? (d) Anisotropic filtering? (e) HTTP textures? 

3. Which viewer are you using, and which version?

4. Did you do a clean install of the viewer the last time you updated?

5. Do the missing things appear if you right click where they ought to be?  How about if you toggle wireframe mode On and Off again (CTRL + Shift + R)?

I'm not sure whether answers will suddenly give us a solution, but they may help eliminate more possibilities. It will also help to know if the two or three of you who are having this problem have some characteristics in common.

Devehn wrote:[ .... ]

when i click on the items they do not dissapeare i have to manually turn them transparent or apperent again. 

I specifically have tried SL viewer, and singularity. my friend the bat is on firestorm.

I have updated my graphics driver, and i litterly just loaded up SL veiwer lthis morning , so i don't see that being the issue either. All this has been happening since the update this morning.

OK, if right clicking on things does not make them appear, that rules out one whole class of possibiltites.  Thanks.

And if it's happening on three different viewers, that's not the issue either.  You didn;t say whether you did a clean install or just loaded the new version on top of the old one, but it's looking like that will not help us either.

What update this morning?  There wasn't an update this morning.  Servers are scheduled to be upgraded on the RC sims only this week -- on Wednesday.

Devehn wrote:

[ .... ]

odd, this morning/last night it said it needed to be updated and to relog. all of us got the prompt to update. 

Also no i didn't copy over the old one, I downloaded SL viewer last night because Singularity didn't support something SL viewer did.

"It"?  A viewer? I thought you said that you were using different viewers.

The Linden Lab viewer, version 3.6.9.282553 , was last updated on October 13.  The latest Firestorm update (to Beta 4.5.1.38838) was on October 30.  Singularity was updated to version 1.8.3.4998 on September 13.  I'm wondering where you got a message to update, and what you updated.  And whether it's relevant ........

Devehn,

If you are running SL viewer and your friends are running Firestorm and Singularity, I don't see how you'd all get update messages. None of those viewers is on a common release schedule. You've not made it clear which of you has updated. If only you have, then the onset of problems for your friends could not be update related. If all of you have updated, what did you all update to?

Have you and your friends recently shared any other programs? It feels a bit like something external, yet common to all of you, is at work here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.