Am I having trouble logging in, or is the grid just having issues?

Monogamy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've tried changing starting locations, the only one that worked in the past day or two was some popular France-based place which I don't remember the name of. As soon as I tried to teleport to one of my bookmarked places, it logged me out. Most of the time it starts to connect, then gives me the, "Darn! You have been logged out of Second Life...." My internet connection is fine, my account is in good standing as far as I know. I don't have a premium account or anything so I can't try logging in my own land or anything. I've tried Murray, Lusk, Hobo Island, and a few other places. Is it me or is it just the land?

Thank you to anyone who reads this.

2 answers to this question

My guess is that your Internet connection isn't fine at all.  It may be fine enough for browsing the web, sending e-mail, and playing some on-line games, but SL demands more than that. That particular message is one that you get typically if the servers have gotten tired of waiting for your viewer to respond and have no choice but to log you out. 

When you log in or teleport, the servers have to collect a lot of information about you, adding you to the database in the sim you have just entered.  If you happen to have your statistics bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) open at the time, you may notice that your Ping Sim value increases dramatically and that your Frames Per Second (FPS) drops.  That's telling you that the Internet is trying to carry a sudden spike of information and that your connection to SL's servers has slowed down temporarily.  It usually pops right back to normal within seconds, but if your connection is normally a bit flaky, it may time out instead .... and you disconnect. 

If you have been using wireless, don't.  That's a common reason for instability as well as being much more vulnerable to interference than a direct cable connection.  If it has been a while since you rebooted your router, do it.  Just unplug it from the power for a few minutes, that's all.  If your router is more than three or four years old, you may want to think about replacing it.  There are other possible cures, but those steps are good ones to try first.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.