Second life crash corrupts internet connection

linoleum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A number of times in the last year when I got logged out of SL by a crash it completely corrupts my internet connection. I then have to call my provider and they have to reboot the network. This can take up to 30 minutes on hold with technical support. I have noticed that this only happens when Second Life crashes and no other program. This is very worrisome and I'm scared to log in now. Anyone else experience this?

Per your request I am adding to my comment with additional information:

You may be skeptical but it is happening and Second Life is causing the problem. This has now happened at least 8 times. The SL application freezes then I get a message saying that Second Life has logged me out and the whole screen turns gray. It doesn't knock out the internet every time, it happens but about 50% of the time. I have to call my ISP because rebooting my router doesn't work. They reboot from some other area in their internal system, I don't know the technical specifics.

More additional comments:

I am using FIOS so not sure how I change the DNS, but I'll look into it. This is definitely not an ISP out of someone's garage. It is VERIZON! I'm surprised that I'm the only one that has experienced this. I would like to find out if it's something in my settings or something. I guess that would be hard to ascertain. Is there a way to escalate this issue?

7 answers to this question

I have never heard of such a thing, and I'm skeptical that it's even possible unless "reboot the network" means that you're rebooting your own router or modem.   There shouldn't be any need to call your ISP to do that, though.  That's purely local.  And there really is no way that your ISP has to reboot their network.  If it were possible for you to mess up their system, they'd have a lot of other angry customers looking for you and I doubt that they'd ever let you back in.

It's hard to know how to address your question with the information you provided, but I suspect that you have not been crashing at all. That is, SL is not crashing your system; your system is disconnecting from SL.  Do you get any error message from Second Life when it happens?  EXACTLY what does it say?  Under what conditions do you "crash"?  Are you always doing the same thing? If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

linoleum wrote:

A[ .... ]

Per your request I am adding to my comment with additional information:

You may be skeptical but it is happening and Second Life is causing the problem. This has now happened at least 8 times. The SL application freezes then I get a message saying that Second Life has logged me out and the whole screen turns gray. It doesn't knock out the internet every time, it happens but about 50% of the time. I have to call my ISP because rebooting my router doesn't work. They reboot from some other area in their internal system, I don't know the technical specifics.

Thanks for the added information.  I still can't imagine how it is possible, or what your ISP is rebooting.  If the message says that you are being logged out, though, then it's not a crash.  You are timing out for some reason.  You have lost the connection.  Have you tried changing (or adding to) your DNS addresses?  That can sometimes clear up transient connection problems.

First, try flushing your DNS cache; how to do that is explained here for Windows, Linux, and older Mac operating systems. For newer Mac operating systems (Lion and Mountain Lion), see here.

if this doesn't help, then try setting your DNS to Google: Google Public DNS

If using Google as a DNS does not work for you then see here for alternate servers, or grab DNS Bench to help you locate one.

That's what you get for using a ISP working out of someone's garage. :P

Interesting.. I use Verizon FIOS at several of my work places to access SL. I called 2 friends that work for Verizion tonight. Neither can imagine any scenario where SL data streaming can compromise the Verizon Fiber Routing infrastructure.

You can override the DNS Servers that the Verizon Routers come configured with. You need the Administrative login to the router and some experience to do this. Use

8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 in place of the existing DNS Servers.

• Like 1

linoleum wrote:

[ .... ]

More additional comments:

I am using FIOS so not sure how I change the DNS, but I'll look into it. This is definitely not an ISP out of someone's garage. It is VERIZON! I'm surprised that I'm the only one that has experienced this. I would like to find out if it's something in my settings or something. I guess that would be hard to ascertain. Is there a way to escalate this issue?

The fact that nobody else has reported this (ever, as far as I can tell) suggests again that it's something unique to your computer or its Internet connection.  I have done some searching for clues but I am coming up empty.  It certainly has me stumped at this point, although someone else my stumble in with an insight.

There is no "escalation" from here.  This is a resident-to-resident Answers service.  Lindens never come here or even look at the posts.  If you are a Premium member, you can submit tickets on technical issues and you have Live Chat as well.  Generally speaking, you get better advice here (and certainly faster) than you get by submitting support tickets to Linden Lab, but the best we can do is draw on our collective experience and our familiarity with the wiki and archive resources. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.