Ground texture

Ava Harcassle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I don't know if this is the right place for this post, but....here goes.

I have a parcel of land that is grassy.  I want to make it sandy, like a beach.  Here's the problem: I can't put down a texture. The estate manager said that the whole sim is grassy, and they can't change just one parcel to sandy if the rest of the parcels are grassy.  Ok, cool. I got that.

Does anyone out there have an alternative idea of what I can do to make it beachy?? Some type of prim ground cover that can be texturized? Or, can you make just one parcel beachy with a texture without it affecting the other parcels? What will happen if I put my own texture down on my parcel? Will it stay on just my parcel or will it bleed over on to everyone else's parcel?

Someone help me puh-leeeeeeease!! :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: And thanks in advance!! :matte-motes-big-grin:

Ava Harcassle wrote:

Does anyone out there have an alternative idea of what I can do to make it beachy?? Some type of prim ground cover that can be texturized?

That's what you'd need to do, yes.

Or, can you make just one parcel beachy with a texture without it affecting the other parcels?

As the estate manager told you, region textures affect all parcels, so... no.

What will happen if I put my own texture down on my parcel?

You can't put your own texture down on your parcel unless it's on a prim, so... nothing.

Will it stay on just my parcel or will it bleed over on to everyone else's parcel?

See above.

Hi Ava,

The only way to texture your little bit of the sim is with prims. If the terrain is flat, as in a typical cityscape, that would be fairly easy. You'd just rez a cube, stretch it out, squish it flat, part it just barely above the ground, then texture it, perhaps using repeats to get a good compromise between texture size and sand grain size. If the terrain is complex, you'll have to cobble together several sculpty prims to cover the ground while trying to match the elevations. The scultpties would be phantom, so your feet would sink in wherever the sculpty was significantly above the underlying sim surface.

There are vendors of sculpty terrain prims for that purpose (been ages since I used 'em for exactly this purpose, so you'd have to go hunting) so it can be done.

Good luck!

There is a product called LandMap that will make sculpts that follow the terrain very closely.  You can texture the sculpts.  I have used this product successfully to create beaches on grass sims. 

Studio-skye sells mesh terrain building kits that also could be used to build a beach.

I am not affiliated with these products or creators in any way, btw. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.