Unusual Ping

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, sorry if this is the wrong area.

Second about 3-4 days ago, my ping started acting oddly, it used to just be quite steady with little lag, now it ranges from 200 to 6000ms, even when I am sitting directly next to the modem. I did find someone suggesting visual route and it gave me this.

"In general this route is reasonably quick, with hops responding on average within 106ms. However, all hops after hop 14 in network 'Level 3 Communications, Inc.' respond slightly slower than average"

Is there anything that I can perhaps do?

You can use a wire ;)

It's pointless trying to diagnose a wireless connection, there are so many potential variables for interferance (even if you sit next to the router). Without a wideband sniffer and probably a college degree it's not feasible to use any data from a wireless connection as authoritive.

If you get the same disruption under a wired connection, THEN we can start figuring something out.

--

The commentary you added about the route is helpful further down the line, but in order for it to mean anything to anyone here you're probably going to have to detail the route you're using (this would likely require geolocation data). I would hold off on doing this for now.

Rule out the obvious possible faults early.

• 3 months later...

Hello there, I too am receiving this issue. It only seemed to start around the 20th of December, prior to this I have had no issues with lag but now movement in Second Life causes my ping to increase from about 200 upwards to around 800 at times.

I am from the the UK and on a wired connection and as such I tried a tracert and like Scot's result it shows as soon as I enter the fourteenth hop in network to Level3.net my ms increases drastically.

Not sure on a solution to your issue, but:-

Level3.net is an infrastructure operator in Canada. Your pings will bounce upward here because they're going under the sea (which, naturally, takes much longer than traversing the tiny spot of land called the United Kingdom).

It's unlikely that Level3.net is introducing problems into your route.

My guess would be that your local (UK) ISP is performing some traffic shaping, or your connection is otherwise reacting poorly to having to upload (rather than download). 

Well for me; the route traced shows them joining up with Level3.net servers in London then moving across the Atlantic but despite that the ms do increase a lot as soon as I enter their network and I did run a pingtest to Level3.net to make sure, the result was 100% packet loss. I've run numerous speedtests too; all of which have had no such difficulties that I can make out.

Vermus Dryke wrote:

Well for me; the route traced shows them joining up with Level3.net servers in London then moving across the Atlantic but despite that the ms do increase a lot as soon as I enter their network and I did run a pingtest to Level3.net to make sure, the result was 100% packet loss. I've run numerous speedtests too; all of which have had no such difficulties that I can make out.

I live in the central US and I know my tracerts normally use Level3 for long-distance connections. I just tried running a tracert to a British website (www.tottenhamhotspur.com just because I like the name and I figured it wouldn't be echoed in the US.) The first time I hit a long series of "Connection timed out" messages about where I'd expect to connect to Level3 and the second time it went through smoothly but on a different backbone instead of Level3 (it went on Telia). There might be issues somewhere in the Level3 system right now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.