my avatar is a cloud when logging in

Charisse Aura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just logged in and yet again my avatar is a cloud plus other avatars and objects wont rez, this is the same issue I had when we had that inventory maintenance on Saturday.

I know we had one yesterday, I checked the status page it has been listed as resolved, seriously this is what stops me from logging in.

Charisse

These commands arent available in the advanced menu and every other attempts to fix this problem has failed, if it helps I can give you my system specs, I also note my inventory wont load so there is definately an ongoing issue.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2399.57 MHz) Memory: 4096 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7600) Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1191 OpenGL Version: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104.0.0

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2 libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2 Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.08 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Packets Lost: 31/8395 (0.4%)

4 answers to this question

I just logged in and yet again my avatar is a cloud plus other avatars and objects wont rez, this is the same issue I had when we had that inventory maintenance on Saturday.

I know we had one yesterday, I checked the status page it has been listed as resolved, seriously this is what stops me from logging in.

Charisse

These commands arent available in the advanced menu and every other attempts to fix this problem has failed, if it helps I can give you my system specs, I also note my inventory wont load so there is definately an ongoing issue.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2399.57 MHz) Memory: 4096 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7600) Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1191 OpenGL Version: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104.0.0

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2 libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2 Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.08 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Packets Lost: 31/8395 (0.4%)

The fact that all other avatars are gray to you suggests that you have a HTTP texture rendering issue.  For the past couple of years, Linden Lab has been moving away from handling textures with UDP packets and toward using HTTP, which is generally faster and more reliable.  It works very well for most people, but those with older computers can find that it has the opposite effect, especially if they are using wireless.  Take a look at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/http_fetching_issues for things you can do to resolve the problem.

BTW, you are quite right that doing a Character Test is a bandaid solution at best. It can sometimes bring temporary relief but it generally only masks the chronic problem you're having.  It is exactly what it says, after all: a test. 

You should also know that the speed of a person's Internet connection is rarely a problem (unless they are using a dial-up).  Reliability counts for a lot more.  The most common connection issues we see are caused by a user's flaky equipment -- usually a router or cables -- or by the local Internet connection. 

• Like 1

Charisse Aura wrote:[ ... ]

I also note my inventory wont load so there is definately an ongoing issue. [ ... ]

I agree.  Thank you for that extra bit of information. It's sounding as if your viewer may have been borked, so you have one or more damaged files.  Clearing your cache manually (not with the Clear Cache button) might help with the inventory issue, but it may be easiest to do a clean reinstall of your viewer.   Here's how to do it carefully >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

If you have been using wireless, don't.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.