Crash After Login With AMD Catalyst 13.9 Drivers

Kalio Duport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just upgraded my AMD video card (Radeon 5570 HD) drivers to the latest Catalyst 13.9 version and now both the official viewer and Catznip (latest versions of each) crash second after logging in. I tried all of the usual tactics (clearning out the cache, uninstalling cleanly and reinstalling, disabling VBO and other features, and lowering all other video settings), but still no luck. I saw someone else is having the same problem in Q&A, but the only suggestions offered were to disable VBO and Catalyst A.I., which I've already done (Catalyst A.I. is no longer shown in the Catalyst Control Center, but I found a way to supposedly disable it through editing the Profiles.xml file - it seems like it's no longer a supported feature, though, making it a moot point). If it matters, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I hate to have to revert back a version (I was hoping this upgrade would fix the annoying flickering text issue), so I'm hoping maybe there will be some sort of fix for this in the near future.

I just upgraded my AMD video card (Radeon 5570 HD) drivers to the latest Catalyst 13.9 version and now both the official viewer and Catznip (latest versions of each) crash second after logging in. I tried all of the usual tactics (clearning out the cache, uninstalling cleanly and reinstalling, disabling VBO and other features, and lowering all other video settings), but still no luck. I saw someone else is having the same problem in Q&A, but the only suggestions offered were to disable VBO and Catalyst A.I., which I've already done (Catalyst A.I. is no longer shown in the Catalyst Control Center, but I found a way to supposedly disable it through editing the Profiles.xml file - it seems like it's no longer a supported feature, though, making it a moot point). If it matters, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I hate to have to revert back a version (I was hoping this upgrade would fix the annoying flickering text issue), so I'm hoping maybe there will be some sort of fix for this in the near future.

The AMD Catalyst crash (BUG-3487) basically makes the viewer crash right after login for everyone with the latest AMD drivers (Catalyst 13.5+ to anything above) - only Catalyst 13.4 or older is unaffected.

I reported the issue on August 2nd in the Jira, and LL is working on a fix internally. Nicky D from Firestorm wrote a fix http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/rev/e625d82e37e6 - and therefore Firestorm doesn't have this bug.

So users who are affected by this crash-issue right after login after their Windows updated their drivers (or they did a manual update), they can either use Firestorm, or downgrade to Catalyst 13.4: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/13/Pages/radeon.aspx?os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2064-Bit%20Edition&rev=13.4

As of yesterday 9/26/2013 I crash when trying to edit mesh/non mesh even when I try to go into appearance I simply crash instantly. Especially when trying to edit multiple items. I didnt have this issue before all was working smoothly & fine then out of no where this issue occured. I even tried the second life viewer & same thing. I am not sure if this is an Linden Lab issue or what, but if anyone can offer some assistance please help.

• 1 month later...

What a Nightmare I'm having with these drivers. GPU saphire 5970 OC (card is not overclocked nor is CPU). Stangely though, I've recently upgrade to Win7 (die hard XP fan), SL ran like a dream on XP and I could run max eye candy in SL. But since the upgrade (clean install), it's horrid.

Viewer: Firestorm 4.4.2 (latest stable)

Box specs:
4gb corsair ram 1600mhz
i7 @2.93Ghz
Mobo - P55A-UD4P (gigabyte)
1000W corsair PSU
Case - Antec 902
OS - Win7 32bit

Have had to throttle down graphics quality. Dance clubs, well forget that, it starts stalling and trying to cam and what not usually crashed the game if not the entire system. The card seems to heat up quickly too. So I'm now using manual fans.

If I didn't need to upgrade the OS (need to for work), I would have kept it as is.

Albeit this is just a driver issue or maybe it is IDK. Anyone got any suggestions?

Hello Trezz,

my suggestion is to test other driver-versions with the Second Life viewer. You don't need to install the other driver versions (I know this is a pain), instead you can just copy the opengl -driver into the Second Life program directory.

Instructions and more information about that can be found here: http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-12100#comment-122495 (this also works for the official viewer).

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.