Opening ports for second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I understand that ports do not need to be manually opened for SL (USUALLY), however the firewall on my modem/router is especially strict.

I have the list of ports that SL requires, however, I need to know one thing:

Am I supposed to *forward* the ports using port forwarding? Or am I supposed to *trigger* the ports using port triggering?

Edit: No it does not have firewall settings. I only need the answer to the question I asked "port forward or port trigger?"

I'm also not interesting in dropping the firewall completely, as having a firewall helps and i'd rather just allow the specific ports needed for the game. ty.

14 answers to this question

I understand that ports do not need to be manually opened for SL (USUALLY), however the firewall on my modem/router is especially strict.

I have the list of ports that SL requires, however, I need to know one thing:

Am I supposed to *forward* the ports using port forwarding? Or am I supposed to *trigger* the ports using port triggering?

Edit: No it does not have firewall settings. I only need the answer to the question I asked "port forward or port trigger?"

I'm also not interesting in dropping the firewall completely, as having a firewall helps and i'd rather just allow the specific ports needed for the game. ty.

I need help too. I am getting lag and all sorts of issues. seriously though, NONSENSE?!!! some people need to port forward. all this person wants to know is weather or not its forward or trigger. i need to know as well, and the port numbers required. i need serious help with this. im getting back talk from my ISP stating that port forwarding is needed. whatever you can do to help, please do. i want to put this to rest once and for all and get back in. thank you!

Take a look at the section in this Knowledge Base article that deals with communicating from a private network >>> https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/using-second-life-with-a-firewall-r599/Section_.3

Also, note that if your firewall is blocking outbound TCP port 12043, then teleporting, viewing the World Map, crossing regions, and related activities won't work, so check your firewall.

what else can be done? i mean ive been dealing with this for a long time. Spectrum keeps telling me its the server to the game. every one is. its sorta dumb. like i said i can barely explore anymore. unless i find a way to fix this crud, my life on SL is over. not even linden lab themselves can assist me. they made that clear back in november.

Are you absolutely certain that it's a forwarding issue?  Those really are fairly straightforward, as the KB article I pointed you to describes.  I suspect that KarenMichelle's comment above is probably right.  You have an overly sensitive firewall.

If you are having serious lag issues, though, the first thing to suspect is your router.  You may have plenty of bandwidth -- SL doesn't require much -- but if you have a flaky connection that is dropping data packets or causing spikes in ping time, you will get bad lag and frequent crashing, as well as a lot of other annoying behavior.  Reboot the router and modem to see if that helps.  And if you're on wifi, move to a cable or DSL connection.  Linden Lab neither recommends nor supports wifi.

Well, there's more than one SL server.  In fact, there are something like 10,000 of them.  If you're having this trouble everywhere you go in SL, it's unlikely that you are unlucky enough to keep finding sick servers everywhere.  And if you were, we'd probably hear from a lot more people with your symptoms.  On the basis of probability, if nothing else, it's more likely to be a problem in your neighborhood.  If you've rebooted everything, start working up the line.  Bypass the router temporarily -- just plug the cable from your computer directly into the modem -- to rule out a problem in its hardware or software.  Check all your cables to be sure the cat hasn't bitten through one, or you haven't rolled over it with your chair. Take a look at some of the more advanced diagnostics suggested in Nalates's blog.  And ask your ISP to check their cables in your area. (I went nuts trying to solve a connection issue a few years ago until my ISP discovered that there was a corroded connection in their box at the street.)

• Like 1

Packet loss is definitely a connection issue, a very common one. As I suggested in my last reply, you'll have to look at every cable and connector, your router ... every component along the path from your machine to the outside world.  Do not use wifi.  And pay close attention to the advanced diagnostic discussed in Nalates's blog (which I gave you a link to earlier).

58 minutes ago, Tdawg14 Landfall said:

and if nothing can be done or no one will help me IRL?

There's not much that any of us can do from a distance except advise you about things you could be doing yourself to solve the problem on your end.  We're all SL residents like you, and Linden Lab doesn't make house calls to fix residents' hardware. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.