sl plugin's are they really required

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

are the plugins required all they seem to do is reduce the log in times yes if you want the splash page a plug in is used, worthless

three others load during the log in process normally they lock up at the connecting to region  if you kill them log in proceeds without a problem

perhaps they serve some purpose but I have yet to find anything they effect music and sound work fine I do not use voice maybe they are required for this but from what I have observed they serve no purpose other than taking up background interference

perhaps the coders can create plug ins that have a purpose as the current variety seem to have none

are the plugins required all they seem to do is reduce the log in times yes if you want the splash page a plug in is used, worthless

three others load during the log in process normally they lock up at the connecting to region  if you kill them log in proceeds without a problem

perhaps they serve some purpose but I have yet to find anything they effect music and sound work fine I do not use voice maybe they are required for this but from what I have observed they serve no purpose other than taking up background interference

perhaps the coders can create plug ins that have a purpose as the current variety seem to have none

They are nothing to do with Voice -- that's vivox.exe and associated stuff, which is best blocked by your firewall (and/or removed from your computer altogether) if you don't want to use voice.

The slpugin.exe stuff is, as I understand it, needed for web-related stuff like shared media and also search, profiles and stuff.  I think you will find you need it if you want profiles and search to work at all, even if you're using a TPV that presents you with old-style search and profiles, but I'm very much open to correction here..

As I understand it, the viewer normally  needs to run at least 3 instances of slpugin.exe to run properly.

You need it if you want to see any web or video content at all, not only inworld but  the ToS display, web search and profiles, help, etc. If you don't want those features, you can just delete or rename SLPlugin, the viewer will run without it.

Yeah, they are a pita for me.  It's become part of my routine login process to go in and kill them, or not everything will rez.  I always have at least two, sometimes four going...not sure what determines how many :( 

You do need them for search.  I've had to search after stopping them, and eventually one will run again to do that...I might have to hit the search button a couple of times and it takes a long time to get it started, but it does eventually complete the task.

Also, as soon as my avi starts jerking or becomes uncontrollable in walking...that's the first thing I check, to see if one is running, and 9 times out of 10, it is.  I stop the process and my avi smoothes out again.   I hate them!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.