Campers

Tamara Artis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Agreed entirely!

I am glad every time LSL can replace the functions of a bot - scripts are always going to be lighter, but the real answer is to allow simulators to modify the information they send according to the required complexity. It already happens on some levels, sent data differs depending on V1/V2/V3 compliance. This would undoubtedly speed up text and other limited viewers (as well as bots) but also free up unnecessary bandwidth for those who actually need it. I can see it folding into the larger controls for avatar complexity that we spoke about a few posts earlier.

I can't see demo bots being replaced too quickly, even though Pathfinding and mesh have some capability together (ultimately useless for NPCs without rigging). I'm thinking more about group invite bots, advertising bots and traffic bots.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, Freya. We should be well into a good argument by now :P

I added a paragraph to my previous post that you may not have seen.

I've never looked at Pathfinding or mesh, so I've no idea about that.

My later traffic and castle character bots were hybrids in that they all ran using the OpenMV system together with LSL. I used LSL to talk to the OpenMV instance. But that's irrelevant.

If LL still works as it used to - allows each programmer to work on what they fancy doing - maybe a suitable Linden could be persuaded to incorporate a system of deselecting data. In the meantime, I'll work on getting pigs to fly, and I bet I'll succeed long before LL incorporates the deselecting of data.

Uhhhh, well we could argue about the flying height of your pigs. If they travel below 768m this isn't fair to mainland renters who are trying to block the entry of physical objects, and they may get stuck in banlines.

Also, if they travel above 768m they might spy on people in skyboxes. It seems I would have no choice but to object to EITHER possible implementation of flying pigs.

Sorry Phil! :D

I completely disagree, Freya. In fact you are absolutely wrong.

Anyone's pig should allowed to fly wherever the owner wants it to fly and I suggest that people in skyboxes should stop doing what they don't want pigs to see. I am unanimous about that!

Also, pigs *must* be allowed to fly low down. Otherwise how would people be able to see them? It's obvious.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's an old argument, Amethyst, and one that was never valid and cannot work. According to that argument, a person who owns a 512m mainland parcel can't go onto his/her land because s/he would exceed the number of avatars for a 512. And the same is true of a 1024m mainland parcel. So it's obvious that there is no need for mainland parcel owners to limit the number of avs on their parcels in proportion to the land they own.

All that's needed by a parcel owner is to be sensible about the resources that are used on the parcel.

I agree that a parcel owner should be sensible about resources but there are a lot of people that aren't.  They keep putting out poorly scripted objects until the sim lags so bad, someone has to stop them.  I've seen it happen time and again on my own estates and in other's.  I've seen it happen on the mainland too on sims where friends mine that are the victims of resource hogs have land.  I see nothing sensible in one guy keeping 15 bots on his land to control how many his neighbors can have on their land. 

Actually LL's goal is to allocate sim resources by parcel size in a similar manner as prims or LI is used now and they have stated that in many Official SL Developer meetings I have attended over the years.  Each parcel will be allocated so many resources based on size and you won't be able to use more.  Its why we now have access to script information on the parcel tools level and not just the region level which we didn't have before and why that same dialog has a tab for avatar usage.  It is a first step.  Avatar resources will probably not be measured by numbers but by server impact, but numbers is all we have now.  The part circled in red doesn't work yet but one day it will. 

So don't make statements about the argument being old and never valid or can't work like its a fact when it's only your opinion, and a misinformed one.  Actually it is an idea coming to some land near (and under) you in the future.

parcel script info.png

I can only speak from hearsay now but as I understood it, LL dropped the idea of regulating (allocating) script usage on Mainland.

However Estates are still free to regulate their properties as they see fit, hence that information is there for them to use.

Oh, and if they were to regulate it, then they would have to BAN AnneMarie's cars because evrytime one of them crossed a SIM they could be potentially making an unfair use of scripts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.