How to set group land access correctly?

Teqi Falta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi!

Sorry if i write this on the wrong site, but not sure where to ask ppl opinion and ideas about the solution.

Im looking for a good solution for setting up a "group access only" on a group owned land with the following conditions:

1. Only group members can access the land

2. group members are NOT ALLOWED to build on the group land

3. but they are able to rezz balls from the MLP chairs, beds etc...

4. owner of the group no need to be online for members be able to rezz balls

(We tested these land and group settings and having trouble coz ppl are able to build on land if allowed to build for the group in land settings, even in the group the role is set not allowed to rezz on group land for them. If i dont enable building for the group in land settings, members are not able to rezz balls from MLP or other menu based objects when i'm  - the group land owner- not online. If im not online they are able to rezz balls from objects only which is deeded to the group, but its impossible to deed no transfer objects, so its not working way neither.)

Im looking for solution from two views:

1. view: The land is owned by GROUP A, members are in GROUP A also

or

2. view: The land is owned by GROUP A, members are in another group, lets call GROUP B

if there is no solution in the settings i would like to get ideas about making group access only work by a security orb, the view is:

1. view: The land is owned by GROUP A, members are in another group, lets call GROUP B, security orb must be deeded to the GROUP A land (as i know)

Proly its a bug, must allow group members build anything they want on the land for using chairs, beds etc. because no transfer items cant be deed to the group?

Looking for the replies, ideas

Thank you

3 answers to this question

Hi!

Sorry if i write this on the wrong site, but not sure where to ask ppl opinion and ideas about the solution.

Im looking for a good solution for setting up a "group access only" on a group owned land with the following conditions:

1. Only group members can access the land

2. group members are NOT ALLOWED to build on the group land

3. but they are able to rezz balls from the MLP chairs, beds etc...

4. owner of the group no need to be online for members be able to rezz balls

(We tested these land and group settings and having trouble coz ppl are able to build on land if allowed to build for the group in land settings, even in the group the role is set not allowed to rezz on group land for them. If i dont enable building for the group in land settings, members are not able to rezz balls from MLP or other menu based objects when i'm  - the group land owner- not online. If im not online they are able to rezz balls from objects only which is deeded to the group, but its impossible to deed no transfer objects, so its not working way neither.)

Im looking for solution from two views:

1. view: The land is owned by GROUP A, members are in GROUP A also

or

2. view: The land is owned by GROUP A, members are in another group, lets call GROUP B

if there is no solution in the settings i would like to get ideas about making group access only work by a security orb, the view is:

1. view: The land is owned by GROUP A, members are in another group, lets call GROUP B, security orb must be deeded to the GROUP A land (as i know)

Proly its a bug, must allow group members build anything they want on the land for using chairs, beds etc. because no transfer items cant be deed to the group?

Looking for the replies, ideas

Thank you

You have discovered a long-standing limitation to the llRezObject and llRezAtRoot LSL functions.  Here's the way it is explained in the LSL wiki:

• Silently fails if you don't have offline building rights on the land. To have the right, you need to either:
    • Own the land yourself.
    • Be in the group that owns it, enable the allow group to build parcel flag, and set the object to group own.
    • Allow everyone to build.
    • Deed the object to the group that owns the land, that will always work.
  • The group role "Always allow 'Create Objects'" will only work to override this when you are online, in the region, or have a child agent in the region.

Here is the JIRA (filed in 2007) that first reported this condition >>> SVC-3145 .

The bottom line is that this may be a bug, but it has been one for a very long time and Linden Lab doesn't seem in a rush to change it.  It is therefore now "expected behavior."

There IS a hack that can work under some circumstances, however. You can create two prims(A and B), set them to different groups, and then link them.  As long as you do not take the linked object back to inventory and re-rez it, each prim retains its own group's identity.  As long as the root prim (A) is set to the same group as your parcel, a rezzer in the child prim (B) will be allowed to rez an object if a member of group B touches it.  You could do the same thing another way by having prim B simply send a chat message to the rezzer in prim A when a member of group B touches it.  If you do that, you don't have to link the two prims.  The big limitation in both methods, of course, is that you have to be able to modify or replace the rezzer script.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.