Selling rights

Wolfman004

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I am making clothes and skins and I would like to sell them on the marketplace.

I wonder if I  can use photo's from google on my stuff? Like a wolf on a t-shirt. Or a celebrity's face on a skin.

I searched for more info but I couldn't find it.

Hope you guys can help me!

Thanks

Photos that are in googles photo cache usualy can be clicked to lead you to the site the image came from. from there you can contact the site owner and ask permission or look for a policy regarding their images. Always consider all images bound by copyright laws unless otherwise written.

And for Celebrity faces you will need their permission and or pay royalties

Thanks!

But what rights do I need if I want to sell it on a t-shirt or something?

Most of the images have this license:

You are free:
  • to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix – to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution – You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike – If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

So can I use this photo and sell it on the marketplace?

Thanks for helping!

• 3 weeks later...

Wolfman004 wrote:

Thanks!

But what rights do I need if I want to sell it on a t-shirt or something?

Most of the images have this license:
You are free:
  • to share
    – to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix
    – to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution
    – You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike
    – If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

So can I use this photo and sell it on the marketplace?

Thanks for helping!

If it doesn't say "non commerical" I think the CC licenses mean you can sell the stuff. BUT, they will see theh attribution and know they can get it for free, so why would ttey buy it? I guess if you upload it and sell it for less than upload costs, maybe.

If you put it onstomething you can sell it i think, but so can anyone else now because if you alter, transform or build upon it then the resulting work ends up with the same license allowances. They can use the newly modifed image. You could say no to the whole thing, so they could not use the Tshirt, because the image was not built upon but you used in in another greater works? See, this is where I don't get it, so I can't tell you what they mean other than it seems to imply you must allow othes to share what you have made with thiat image in it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.