Unable to log in

Azoth Farrior

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm currently unable to log into SL using one of my characters while using my desktop. It doesn't matter what client I use, and I get no error other than 'There was a problem connecting to the grid'. I can log in with the 'problem' character on my phone, tablet and laptop without trouble. I am also able to log in on other characters without issue as well.

Before anyone can say that there was a ban on my IP or MAC addresses: That would stop my tablet and laptop logging in.

Edit:

Since I can't find any button or link that let's me ad a new comment:  I have tried that. I only came here as a last resort since only one character is affected. I removed all traces of SL that I could find, and I trawled through Appdata and all subfolders.

Edit a second time. I have erased *every* part of SL, for every client I have used. Please do not suggest doing that, as I have done it already. I have removed cache files, chat history, everything. There is nothing left that is from SL, LindenLabs, Firestorm, Imprudence, and any other client you care to name that I have ever used, including the text-only client Metabolt. I have not been able to log in. Using my laptop, I have no trouble getting logged in, no delay or anything.

3 answers to this question

Just because it solves so many issues... Have you performed a clean install of the SL Viewer and tried this again?

1) Reinstall SL again using the official version from Linden Lab. [be sure to do a clean install]

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life...

Here is the Windows 8 Manual System File cleanup procedure since it's not in the procedure above.

Windows 8
1.Using File Explorer -> Libraries / Computer / ( C: ) / Users /
2.Press the Continue button to get permission to obtain permanent permission edit this directory.
3.From the View drop-down menu option select Options & Change Folder & Search Options
4.Select the View Tab
5.Under the Hidden Files and Folders options click on the - O Show hidden files, folders & Drives radio button
6.Push the Apply Button then the OK button.
7.Open C:\Users\\AppData\Local and delete the contents of your Temp folder and the SecondLife folder.
8.Uninstall Second Life using the Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel.
9.Download and install the latest release of the Second Life Viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/.

2) Login using that Viewer and wait for a complete Login and Inventory rebuild.

3) Afterwards, you may use any viewer you prefer but I recommend a clean install of that viewer as well following their instructions.

:D

That's the same problem I am having. I can log onto my alt and my friends can log on. I know my avatar is not banned because I haven't done anything to get banned, plus I am able to log on but I freeze and have to quit. I don't get an error message at all. I am still waiting on an answer from LL. I have tried everything I could find. I get a little further now where I actually make it in world, but the moment I open my inventory...Crash! -.- 

Anyway, if you find a solution that works, please share so I can try it too. lol. Thanks in advance. 

When you receive notifications, unless you dismiss them, they accumulate for later reading, in the small envelope icon on the lower right of the screen. (In some viewers, this icon is in the upper right corner.) Over time, they will grow in number. If you log out, these unread notifications are saved for when you next log in. If there are too many of them, processing them during next log in can cause a log in time out and you will be disconnected. The solution here is to delete the file with the saved notifications.  The following instructions refer to Firestorm, but you can easily make the minor adjustment to look for the files in your Second Life or Exodus or Singularity (or whatever) folder:

• Locate your Firestorm settings folder. If you do not see this folder, you may need to show hidden folders.
    • On XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Application Data\Firestorm
      or use the environment variable %APPDATA%)
    • On Windows Vista and 7: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm
      (or use the environment variable %APPDATA%)
    • On a Mac: /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Firestorm
    • On Linux: ~/.firestorm
  • In this folder, open each folder which has the name of your SL account(s) and inside that, delete the file called open_notifications.xml - this will result in all past, unread notifications being lost.

If this fixes you then please make a habit of closing all notifications before you log out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.