A question of Gb used during a session

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I'm currently an AT&T customer and due to my location, the connection has been degradint over time ot the point that much lag and CTDs are the norm.

So, I am looking at Mobile Internet as a solution but I'm not sure 4gb a month is enough to log on 3 hours a day 5 or so days a week. The question I'm asking is: How much data Xfers in say a 3 hour session and is 4 gigs enough for a month?

advTHANKSance

Conall McGinnis

Conall,

This is a moving target of a question. If you remain static and located in a single region and don't use media and don't move the value will be one thing and if you region hop and listen to media and the regions are rich in detail you will get another value all together.

You can test and measure this yourself by using the Windows Task Manager and watching the Bytes sent & received in the Network tab during a typical session. Then do the math and see what total bandwidth you will use in a month.

Make sure you use your PC as you would normally use it during a SL session.

Ctrl-Alt-Del - and the Task Manager for any windows system will be presented to you. If you get a menu of things to select instead, select Start Task Manager. Navigate to the Networking Tab and have fun playing with the settings. You can display the bytes send / received and total by selecting the View / Select Columns... Option. Check the Bytes Sent & Received & Bytes options. The information will be shown in the lower part of the screen.

TM-Networking.jpg

It wouldn't be any fun if I didn't get out and do things in SL, I go places and listen to music, I dj. I just bought a Kayak that's a lot of fun. My mainland parcel rocks, of course and my dags are a blast to hang out with but I (and sometimes the dags ;) ) do like to socialize. =)

Is this Task Manager something I can find in V1? I use Cool VL (Bless you Henri!) because I despise the new viewers.

I will look into that this evening.

Conall

current

The middle one is me. Not sure what the other two are. The pointy spikes to the far left are me standing still on my parcel, and the rest of it is me tp to a sim loaded with mesh and other items for sale and flying around. I try not to run too much stuff in the background, as you can see. Does anyone have any idea why it's like that?

I log on using a mobile wireless connection fairly often (Verizon jetpack, but thats not important here).  If I stay home with one or two friends, and turn off streaming audio, tighten up my draw distance, and set my graphics preferences to low, I can stay logged into SL for about 50 MByte/hr.  But going to moderately busy sims, streaming audio, and using high graphics, more like 300 MByte/hr.  The biggest factor for me seems to be how many other avatars are within my draw distance.  Watching what I do, but not being *too* careful, I end up using about 12 - 16 GB/month, logging in for 2 or 3 hours a day most days.

OK - That Networking display showed throughput of your wireless networking card.

You can display the bytes send / received and total by selecting the View / Select Columns... Option. Check the Bytes Sent & Received & Bytes options. The information will be shown in the lower part of the screen.

You needed to do the above to get the real bytes transferred numbers for your estimate during one of your typical sessions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.