SL on Dell XPS M1730

JoyofRLC Acker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(Not sure where to post this, mod please redirect if appropriate)

Im looking for comments from anyone else running SL on Dell XPS M1730 laptop.  Yes, a bit old now, but in its day high end and should really still be SL capable (with some dialling back on the graphics).

Ive been having a number of issues with "lap" & crashes & also intermittent freezes (client goes non responsive for anywhere from 1 to several seconds, wither white or black SL window).

One thing Im having trouble nailing down is the best graphics drivers for SL.   Has any one got any experience / advice on this?   The Dell web site of course hasnt been updaetd in ages.   I was running on NV 301 series driver but started getting more problems about the same time a SL began rolling out the latest changes a few eeeks ago.  So I went to 307.83 and thats when I started getting a lot more of the video freezes.   About to try 306.23, but would welocme any advice.

Also on the best SL Graphics, netwrok settings etc.

It really helps when you ask a tech question to include detail information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Plus not many of us will bother to lookup a  Dell XPS M1730 laptop to find its specs. The specs say it came with Dual Nvidia GeForce 8700M-GT in SLI . That should run SL pretty well.

The important part of the video driver update is the OpenGL version you get with it. The current nVidia driver version is 320.49. Try that version. It gives you OpenGL 4.something. Hanging back at 306.xx may have you running an OpenGL 2.x or 3.x.... 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3930 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.