MP ranking related question

BadEddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I was about to edit an item description on MP when suddenly I figured I might maybe lose the search ranking it got over the months if I do that. Would I?

I found the name not enough catchy so I wanted to try something better and I came up with a new verson of it so I will have to adapt the descrption aswell. Price goes up to cause its much better than before.

So will MP still consider it as the same item and maitain that good search ranking I got for it over the month or will it basically reset it just like if it was a brand new item? 

From experience, it's basically going to reset, yes. If you so much as touch one letter in the description or anywhere. But, later on (nobody is sure how long exactly, but people speculate it could be around every 1 - 2 weeks), marketplace will run some kind of self-update, and your item will be back to its rating. More or less - because now it'll have a week or whatever of non-sales tarnishing its permanent record, of course.

The problem is that marketplace merchants aren't told or supposed to know when this secret update thing is scheduled to run, so it could happen in a day after your edit, or in a week... you get the idea.

If there is any impact on sales or ranking it must be very minor as I haven't noticed it and I make changes constantly. The drop in rank must be very temporary.

So, it isn't worth umming and ahing about everytime you want to make a change.

I have seen it happen both ways with my products It seems to depend on how strong your sales are. If you are selling a niche high value product at 0 - 2 a day then a "reset" can have a big effect, if sales are high within the MP ratings update period which I think is every day and the sales levels remain comparable with your peers then there dosn't seem any noticeable effect. In my area there is one dominant player and updates never effect its #1 rating

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.