Why is my toolbar flickering and objects around me glitching?

MarieAlexander

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently have download the Second Life Beta viewer and upon logging in i noticed my tool bar and icons started flickering and items around me were glitching. This happened with the regular view as well. I'm not sure if it has to do with the new laptop i bought. Has this happen to anyone else?

I appreciate your help. Thank you. 

5 answers to this question

Yeah, it sounds as if your laptop's graphics card is having a little trouble keeping up.  If it's a brand new machine, the very first thing you ought to do is go on line and download/install updated graphics card drivers.  The ones that were shipped with the machine were probably current when it was made, but it has been sitting in a warehouse for several months now.

See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Graphics-cards/ta-p/700073 for the web URLs for graphics drivers and for the correct procedure for installing them safely.

Hello MarieAlexander,

Set RenderGLCoreProfile to TRUE and relog.

(Open the Advanced menu (Ctrl-Alt-D on a PC, or Opt-Ctrl-D on a Mac.) > Debug Settings -> navigate to RenderGLCoreProfile, and set it to TRUE).

Sadly this setting can decrease your FPS.
And it can also lead to crashes when you upload mesh models.

Reference: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-29600

• Like 1

Other than updating the graphics card drivers? Not that I am aware of. I should note, however, that "updating" can sometimes mean reverting to an earlier version of the drivers.  I am not a Mac person myself, but I have heard that some Mac users have had success by installing older versions of the Catalyst drivers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.