Trade the ocean abyss for land?

Tim Flynn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think I already know the answer, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Most people on SL enjoy those beautiful beach sunsets on their own tropical islands.  It's a way for us poor folk to get a piece of the life just out of reach and it's pretty cool to say the least.

Despite all that, I am constructing a city that just isn't beach coast material and I would rather gaze upon an endless expanse of land or better yet, distant mountains.

Probably not possible, but if it is or was, where would I go to turn the land I use into 

I am renting a Sim, but I wanted to see if it was possible for the Sim landlords to change or ask LL to change it for me.

If it's not possible as I suspect, doesn't anyone else think it would be cool?  

I'm trying to get my head around how other sims manage to cover up the ocean if it doesn't apply to their sim.  My city is massive...and tall, therefor having "boards with pictures" would be tough.

Anyways, thank you for the advice.

~Tim Flynn

I'm not a big fan of them, but since you're on an island, you could use a megaprim. There are entire landscapes available on the marketplace, or you could just use a hollow cylinder twice as large as your sim and texture the inside with a cityscape.

When people move their camera up and away it will be very obvious, but when standing on the ground it gives a very believable effect.

I assumed I wouldn't be able to change the "system water" to land, but I think I found the next best thing.  I edited the water to be brown and stopped all waves in any direction and took out as much of the reflection as I could for a long, flat plain into the horizon.  

Your right.  Even when I logged back in the settings I had changed were gone.  That's too bad.  Not every setting is meant to be next to a Caribbean setting sunset scene.

I still need to research what a Mega Prime is and see some examples on how other Sims hide the ocean such as Insilico and the FF7 Midgar Server, etc.

You can use a off sim or a sim suround (many mega prims linked to a prim child at the center of your sim, but it occupies space off your sim, but the prims counts ) 

I like the ones made by this guy here, but use off sim or sim suround as a keyword search on market place, you will be surprised how many options you will find 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/pt-BR/stores/22017

Isn't there some way of changing the Windlight settings on another resident's viewer? They have to give permission, but if you're using Windlight to change the look of the water it doesn't matter if it is implemented by the viewer. I know the trick gets used for setting the lighting for a place: the first time I saw that sort of thing used was a version of Lovecraft;s Innsmouth, but it didn't work for every Viewer.

Ah, here it is. It's an LL feature, though there's a Parcel-level version available for Firestorm users.

Region Windlight

Region Windlight can only be changed by region owners or estate managers. It is set by going to the top menu bar and selecting Region Details. On the window that opens, select Environment. Regions can be set to use the default SL day cycle, a custom day cycle, or fixed time of day.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.