Problem with t-shirts hugging body

Wes Teebrook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new at making clothes, and I'm running into a problem.  The shirt I made seems to hug every little bump on the avatar.  It distorts the logo and text.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something.  How can I get it to not do this, so that images and texts will not be distorted?

Wes Teebrook wrote:

I'm new at making clothes, and I'm running into a problem.  The shirt I made seems to hug every little bump on the avatar.  It distorts the logo and text.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something.  How can I get it to not do this, so that images and texts will not be distorted?

Hi Wes,

Standard SL clothing is, in effect, a replacement skin or coat of paint, for your avatar. The clothing textures you design are combined with the skin texture you wear and are then "baked" into one texture that's applied to the shape of your avatar to make it visible.

Your shirt hugs every little bump on the avatar because it becomes part of the avatar skin. As the avatar moves, the skin (and therefore your tee shirt) must stretch. There is no way to avoid this distortion, other than to avoid those places on the avatar that are most subject to it, such as the armpits and mid/lower torso. Put your avatar through some animations (dancing, etc) and carefully watch your tee-shirt distort to see where the worst regions are. Then try to move your text away from those areas. The central upper chest and back, away from the arm joint, are the best places to put logos and text.

Good luck!

Agreed that there has always been an issue. Best is to place your text in a place that doesn't distort much. I believe that is maybe midriff area (been awhile). The other thing that you might do is to make an undershirt in the appearance editor and add some "fatness" to it so that the shirt doesn't hug so much. It is good to learn all of this -- and not easy I know, but be aware that for many things this is old technology. So just a stepping stone for learning more. Not a bad plan -- just be aware.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember a tutorial that covered this topic when i started learning making cloths. I believe it was ether in the library texture folders or it was free on marketplace.

Basically it said to try to place logos on areas that don't get stretched as much like high on the back and to keep the logos small.

Also if you look at the system template bases in the library folders it shows the grid of the avi mesh. When you place your logo you can c what sections of the grid on the template are out of shape and stretched. If your gifted with the art program you use you can try and distort the logo to counter the stretching once it is on the body. So the part of the logo that gets stretched the most you will distort it to be smaller on the template and leave the non stretched part to normal scale. Once you apply this to the system clothing the part you shrunk proportionally to how much it stretched in your test will be stretched to the desired size.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.