Inworld TV question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

TY for your question i should have talked more about what i have on mind.

This is what I have on mind:

- Design: Simple and clean, no mesh no scultps, Inspired on the work of Dieter Rams and his 10 principles of design. no more than 2 prims.

- Menu: There will be a menu that doesn't have more than 5 buttons, this is my idea about this:

- One button for settings

- One button is a zoom tool, so basically the user will be able to browse any website they like, and with a zoom tool easily frame up the part of the page they want to see.

- Youtube offer thousands of movies and millions of videos, i don't see the need to use anything more. They ready figure out the legal stuff about this.

So far I have nothing though for the other 2 buttons, so if nothing come out, then I will just leave it at 3. Some nice option is a simple radio tunner.

So this is the basic idea. I would like to see what people want on a TV on SL.

TY.

I don't care about YouTube on a SL TV.  If I want to see something from there I can do that without spending a dime by rezzing 1 prim and using shared media.  So it adds no value as far a I am concerned.  YouTube movies are generally only trailers or pirated and of low quality too. You can't watch a full length theatrical release on it.  You have to watch it in parts.

The only thing we watch on SL TV is movies that want to see together.  We have a TV that has movies you can rent through a movie rental company  just like you can rent them in RL via on demand cable.  The picture is excellent and you can see the whole movie without having to play it in parts.

You could offer links to crunchy roll (free anime and asian movies) or hulu and crackle http://www.crunchyroll.com/ http://www.hulu.com/  http://www.crackle.com/c/shows though I think hulu and crackle are USA only? Perhaps create something to work with netflix?  a lot of people have subscriptions to it and those people might like a service to extend there use of netflix to sl. Not sure if that's possible though.

Infact here's a list of sights with free tv : http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfreebies/tp/free-tv.htm

You might want to consider something more then just buttons to click to those since there's a few of them. Maybe create a menu system that explains what types of shows are available on them and what countries they service? Just my two cents

Cool answers.

Madelie: I like the idea of dispensign junk food. This idea migth just change the way people use TVs.

Amethy: Did you say youtube is pirate but not the rental movie TV you use? I would have though that someone just convert from a DVD to MP4 and upload the file to a server.... didn't knew someone was actually paying rigths to broatcast movies on SL.

you know what really is frustrating? if I crash and then have to watch the whole movie againg, or when someone click something on the TV and everybody have to watch it from the begining. I think there should be a better way.

About full movies on youtube maybe you like to check this link: http://www.youtube.co/results?search_query=%2Cmovie

After you rez your media prim how long it takes you to fix the texture of the face to zoom in the frame of the movie?

Madeline, TY for the links, i am taking note of them, all this websites are new to me, so i will need to research what tools they ofer me to make it easier for me.

About netflix. They don't allow online sharing of their movies. I have ready check their API and they are very especific on this.

I am not sure about menus... maybe that is the rigth way to go, will need to build a prototype and test it.

I appreciate all the comments.

David Thurman wrote:

Amethy: Did you say youtube is pirate but not the rental movie TV you use? I would have though that someone just convert from a DVD to MP4 and upload the file to a server.... didn't knew someone was actually paying rigths to broatcast movies on SL.

you know what really is frustrating? if I crash and then have to watch the whole movie againg, or when someone click something on the TV and everybody have to watch it from the begining. I think there should be a better way.

About full movies on youtube maybe you like to check this link:

After you rez your media prim how long it takes you to fix the texture of the face to zoom in the frame of the movie?

Yes I was aware of that movie channel on YouTube and looked again to be sure it hadn't changed lately.  Half of them were trailers, clips or video reviews, not full movies.  Most of the rest were old movies, B movies or box office bombs.  Of the few movies that weren't,  most were not uploaded to Youtube by a corporate account but a individual person, so most likely not legal or pirated.  Someone that owns rights to a movie isn't going to post it on YouTube for everyone to watch for free when they can sell it on DVD or allow it to be streamed by a service that pays for the rights.

As far as not having full control to pause a movie, you can blame LL for that.  You used to be able to pause a movie but they took that control out of the veiwer a long time ago.

I can set up a shared media prim very quickly.  Its not rocket science. A drag and drop from a browser and a few clicks to fix the texture.   I don't watch movies on shared media anyway, we watch them on our TV.  I do use it however if i want to share a YouTube or other net video.  You don't even need to own the land to do that, just have rez rights.  If i don't have rez rights i can do that on a screen attachment my partner made and pass it to whoever I'd like to see it so they can attach it to their screen and see it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.