Beta viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using the latest Beta viewer and in the Preferences there is a check box followed by “willing to update to release candidates”. What will checking or not checking this box do? Yes, yes I know, I'm not real bright about these things, so what will checking or not checking the box do.

The Lab is working on a system where multiple viewer release candidates are tested by groups of people before they're released as the main viewer. It's similar to the release-candidate server channels. De-selecting that box means that you opt out of being in a position to find yourself testing future viewers.

As of now we are not certain how this is going to work. We have been told, but we have yet to experience it. There are lots of qusetions.

If you uncheck this, your viewer will download only the main production viewer. This may be a good thing to do until we know more and the new system is well tested.

If you check it, by some manner you will be assigned a Beta Viewer to run. I don't think there are any live beta channels yet.

My understanding is that the Beta Viewer is installed in addition to your main production version. I am not sure how that will affect your desktop shortcuts and menu lists.

We do know that the Beta channel you are put in will remain active until the version merges into the production viewer. Then it clears. Does that mean the Beta version is removed from your disk? I don't know.

Presumably you would then be assigned to another beta channel and a different beta version downloaded.

Give it a month and we'll know more.

Almost missed this reply, glad I came back for another look. I have now uninstalled the Beta and installed the main viewer. Teagan uses the LL viewer and an alt uses a TPV. I am always so amazed that LL keeps their viewer so clean and feature free compared to TPVs.

Thanks for the input.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.