Stuck at "Initializing VFS"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

have you.. turned it off and back on again?

Ok, joking aside, that wasn't nice of me. So, really, have you tried restarting your pc? In case something is just, well, stuck. I had that problem once, still don't know what caused it, but just a pc restart fixed it. If that doesn't work, I would honestly go directly for a clean uninstall of your current viewer and install of a new one. I don't know which viewer you use, but it would apply to them all anyway.

You can try to manually clear cache, if you know where you have it stored, but not everyone does. Typically-in windows-it's stored in the application folder under second life(or your viewer of choice). I store mine elsewhere tho. You can safely manually delete anything in that cache folder and it won't harm your viewer, or pc. But sometimes even that isn't very effective. For a problem like yours, I wouldn't opt for this fix, because I don't think it would work.

ImaTest wrote:

You can try to manually clear cache, if you know where you have it stored, but not everyone does. Typically-in windows-it's stored in the application folder under second life(or your viewer of choice). I store mine elsewhere tho. You can safely manually delete anything in that cache folder and it won't harm your viewer, or pc. But sometimes even that isn't very effective. For a problem like yours, I wouldn't opt for this fix, because I don't think it would work.

My SL viewer stores its cache in C:\Documents and Settings\work\Local Settings\Application Data\SecondLife (substitute your windows login for "work")

Enrique Carrasco wrote:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalled the SL viewer. Same problem

Basic uninstall and reinstall does not clear out all the settings, cache and files.  This requires a "clean install" as alluded to by others here.  

Enrique Carrasco wrote:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalled the SL viewer. Same problem

Perhaps a different viewer would be beneficial to you then.

I would opt for firestorm or probably singularity. They seem to be the two most popular.

I don't like the labs viewer and neither does my pc. I use firestorm, personally.

But you do need a complete uninstall and simply removing the program won't give that to you. You need to remove any and all files associated with the program. Such as those in application data which often linger after an uninstall. Why? Who knows, they just do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.