Second life on Windows 8 Tablet ? (Acer Iconia W510)

Nirika

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has installed any flavour of a second life graphical viewer on the Acer Iconia W510. I doubt it will run smoothly but I dont need smooth, I need chat and sitting around.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Thanks for responding, I had my android and ipad stolen so I'm in the market for a new tablet. Being the second life addict that I am being able to communicate is a must. I dont want to go and buy a tablet and then be in hot water not being able to run second life in some flavor which is mandatory for me.

That Acer is listed with a Intel GMA 3650 Graphic Card <-- that could make you some trouble.

Read here: 
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-GMA-3650.60195.0.html

What SL needs to run properly you can find here - SL requirements :
 https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/

The processor is not very strong but could possibly run SL on low settings. Same for the RAM.

Sometimes thirdparty drivers for the Graphic Cards like this can help. But use at own risk - because they overclock the hardware and add functionalities it possibly wasn't made for.

Generally the rule applies: unless you buy a really expensive gaming laptop which is build especially for such uses, you can't expect to run SL in the same quality as on a full computer.

The thirdparty applications for ipad and android are very little compared to what the full original windows-secondlife viewer needs to run.

So if you just want something as Pocket Metaverse or Lumiya then any ipad or android tablet will do fine. (if not too outdated in regards to its hardware - see each applications system requirements to decide what you need to run them properly - you will mostly find these informations on their homepages) 

For the requirements of a dektop computer or laptop see the system specs link above about the official secondlife viewer. (which you should defenitally check out before deciding to buy and desktop or laptop)

Bree Giffen wrote:

Here's a fairly recent article on tablets for gaming. The best reviewed tablet, Google Nexus 10, is around the same price as the Acer Iconia you mentioned.

Except, of course, you have a very limitted selection of Second Life clients for Android (I think only 1 graphical client, and that is not even feature-complete yet). Plus the op's original suggestion of the Iconia suggest an interest in something my like a tablet/laptop hybrid.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.