Listing Items in other languages - Is it worth it and how can I do it? :)

LillyBeth Filth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I got most of my products back on the MP after a week of them being "greyed out" and as such unable to be edited or listed.  I still have 60 items bugged and unlisted but anyway... 

I always see the alternative language tabs when I edit an item and wonder if people list under these languages and if so, how is the best way to do it. 

I have close to 500 products listed on the MP. I was wondering if there was a HUD that could translate accurately ? 

As far as I can tell, there is no way to do this via batch process edit or multiple item edit  because the first part of each of my listings is a small paragraph describing the product itself whilst the remaining text is just Terms and Conditions and User License information which is replicated in all products.

I have looked at the batch edit feature but it seems limited.

For example, I couldn't add a new paragraph to ALL of my products because all of the products existing text would be wiped clean and the only text remaining would be the newly edited paragraph. (?)

If people think it is something that paid off for them, I would be really grateful if you could explain why and how you did it.

Many thanks :) 

I do list my items in alternative languages. I started to do this years ago, when I listed my items on SLEX (later called Xstreet).

I'm not sure if it is worth it. Marketplace stats doesn't tell you in what language people browse or buy your items. The only indicator I have is that now and then a customer who has a question about a product starts talking to me in Japanse or German after a recent buy. But what does it say? Not much, the customer might have bought the item as well when the description was just in English.

My view is that more then 90% of the items are sold by picture.

When I first started to use alternative languages, the main reason was to be very clear about the service we offer and the terms of use of our products. Many people in SL understand English good enough, but there are also people who's knowledge of English is very limited.
In the beginning I hired a translation service in SL, that works with native speakers as translators. At that time I found it worth it. The minus is that it takes time, you often have to wait 7 days or so before your translation is finished. So after a while I started doing it my self, with the help of Googe translate, since it is only the product descriptions that need translations.

If I had 500 items on the marketplace just in English, I don't think I would start to do all the work that it takes. Recently Spanish was added as a language, and since Spanish is het second language spoken worldwide, I decided to add it to my items as well. It is a hell of a job. It took me two days already, and I'm far from done with it yet.

And in the meanwhile I was thinking: Suppose that 90% is sold by picture, then there is 10% left of people that must be convinced by the words. From those 90% understand English well enough to understand my listings. So it is maybe for just 1% of all my customers that I invest time in these translations. Why do I go on with this? Maybe just out of habbit...
It is a good service for that 1% anyway, but is it really worth the time investment? Maybe not.

Once you have all your listings in other languages, it is more easy. When I add a new product I use 'quick fill' to make the listing. This fills in all the languages from my other product. I still have to change the title, the product description and keyword, for all languages. The keyword field is what motivates me most to use other languages.

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Thanks Maddellefste 

Yes, I agree with your concept that 90% of people purchase by visual and as I sell textures I guess more so.

The point is though, how do you catch those eyes to see your pictures?

It might be worth to experment a bit with the keyword fields. When you have items that you sell about the same amount each month, you could use those for the experiment. Translate only the keyword fields for those items. When your sales for these items go up, after additing foreign keywords, it might be worth to do it for your complete collection.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.