Again with the 10m build limit?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Reading through the building guidelines for SL10B, I was surprised to find this:

10m x 10m x 10m Floors: Any prims you walk on should be a maximum size of 10m x 10m x 10m. Any prims (floor or otherwise) larger than that should be set to Phantom.

To be clear, they can make any rules they want; it's their show, and I'm not objecting to this limit. I'm merely curious whether there's data to support this limit for a crowded venue with the current Havok engine.

If so, there are many high-traffic venues that might want to re-think their builds.

I can make up a "just so" story with hand-waving about interacting collisions of more avatars on fewer, larger prims. Or maybe something about a coarse filter by maximum object dimensions. These, however, are just speculation, and I can as easily make up arguments that fewer, larger colliders would be better (and would certainly be cheaper to download to many simultaneous viewers).

Does anybody have the experience of prims larger than 10m in fact causing more lag in an avatar-dense environment? If so, do you know why?

I didn't see any suggestion in that brief note that the restriction was related to lag.  They didn't give any explanation at all.  Just don't do it.  I can see a reason for making large prims phantom, so people don't keep slamming into them all the time, and because that does reduce load on the physics engine.  The size restriction on floor prims sounds silly, but without seeing a justification for it, we can only guess why it's there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.