Strange contrest problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If Alicia's suggestion is not the case (the environmental settings are the same and there's not external on either image.......which, to be honest, I don't see anything to suggest it's an external light issue), you might want check to see if any changes have occurred on your graphics card settings.  Not the settings you set in preferences but the settings that are set within the graphics' card setup utility (or control panel).  The reason I'm making this suggestion is that, today, I got a bunch of "Important" Windows updates (8 to be precise).  I typically get my Win Updates on Wednesdays but I used to get them on Tuesdays.........probably because my ISP periodically assigns me a new IP address and I started getting the updates after my ISP changed my IP address a couple months ago.  You may receive your updates on Tuesdays like I used to. 

Anyway, in the 8 "Important" updates Windows Update said I had one of those was driver update for my GTX 550 Ti card.  Had I not taken that particular update off the list Windows would have installed the driver along with the rest of the updates.  I don't do driver updates from Windows Update......I go to the driver update site for the hardware that I want to update (and I seldom update a driver just because there's a new driver.  Only if I think it will help me or I think I have a driver issue do I ever update drivers).  If you received those "Important" updates from Windows and did not check what was being updated and you have a recent NVidia card in your computer, you probably got a new driver (most drivers work or a very wide range of cards so even if you don't have the same card as I do, the chances are good that you got that update for your card..........the drivers for my other computer's GTX 250 card is identical to the drivers for my GTX 550 Ti card).  And every time I update a video driver, I have to into the control panel and set the graphics to the way I like them.......the new driver update always seem to set things back to default for me.

It's something to look at.  The two images you posted are pretty much identical except for the one on the left (the one I gather you like the best) the colors and blacks and whites are a little more subdued than the one on the left which appears to me to be the default settings for my video card.

i can't see much of a difference either.
The 'green spots' and possibly what you feel like being a contrast issue apppear on the lft side, as well as on the right side.

The only difference appears to be the right image being brighter. And thus these 'artefacts' are more visible.

The difference in the brightness of both images could either be based on the daylight settings in the region, or on surrounding lightsources.

Or as Peggy already suggested, it could be that your graphic drivers have recieved an automatic update. You should check on that, by looking at your drivers properties and see what version and date they are from. Or looking at your windows update log.

If so, you can try to check on the Gamma-values, and all others that are influencing the brightness and contrast.

Besides the other good suggestions on this thread, It looks to me like your friend is just using a different Windlight setting than you are, if you're using one at all. Unless they are using exactly the same settings as you are, everyone around you sees your avatar differently than you do.  Ask your friend which setting they are using.

There is also a setting in Preferences to allow your own Windlight setting to be over-ridden by an estate's setting, if that option is checked in Preferences,  the viewer will automatically use whatever setting that is enabled in that sim.  If you haven't checked out any of the Windlight settings in the Enviroment Editor, you should try it, it's interesting. The provided choices range from pretty realistic to absolutely insane, and many were designed to enhance a particular theme on a sim. The default SL lighting is pretty lame compared to almost any of the custom settings, and  you also have the option of tinkering with Windlight and creating your very own. I'm not sure if the LL viewer has the built-in choices, but FIrestorm does. There is also the choice of returning the settings to the SL Default as it's on the list.

in these photos, the viewer on the left is using Places-Paris, while the viewer on the right is using the SL Default.

windlight vs non_windlight.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.