Is there tutorial on how to use.....

kalliopi Ziplon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there tutorial on how to use a full mesh men pants as this one that has shadows to the belt and pockets and so on , when you work with  dresses full perm mesh is so easy to put a texture or a fabric but on something like that how can you work on it?Texture_Mens Slim Fit Britpop Summer Shorts Beige.png

when i put a texture all i got was this 

test.jpg

no shadows 

No pockets ambit  no crotch line nothing 

is there any good tutorial showing how to work on a mesh pant? i know to some it may be stupied what i am asking but i want to know how to make better clothes even if i use full perm mesh .

thanks for reading me have an amazing day 

Hello,

I am guessing you got a fullperm pants made of mesh and you want to texture it.
In a 3D program and with the model itself available that is of course easier to achieve, because here you can control your UV Layout and bake shadows or ambient occlusion maps which you can use as overlay for your paintings to give the texture
the visual depth in the desired spots.

If you only have the already uploaded mesh then you will have to rely on things like testpattern (to figure our what would be where on your texture) or work with Ambient occlusion maps (if provided by the merchant / creator of the object)

If you got Ambient occlusion maps along with your fullperm pants, use those in your Image editor and put them as layer on top of your texture and choose overlay or multiply as type. So they mix nicely into your texture and give the desired shadows.

If you have nothing provided (no AO maps) and nothing that would show you the underlying UV structure as reference to work with. Then it's best to work with a test pattern.

See this thread here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/How-to-texture-a-mesh-object-that-you-did-not-create-and-do-not/m-p/1964403#M20544 )

This way you can apply the test pattern in worlds to your pants and find out which area on the pants would be 'where' on a (quadratic) texture. And you can paint your details in by using an image editor and by painting on top of this reference pattern.

On a sidenote:

without having any visual representation given to you that would indicate the UV layout of the pants, the new texturing can become quite hard. For instance - See your first example image - as you can see the belt does have quite some 'waves' based on how it was UV unwrapped. And it is fairly hard to figure the exact positioning by just using a testpattern or similar helping images. It requires a lot back & forth testing until everything would get onto the right spots.
Also making 'seams' and patterns continue correctly without having the original UV layout can be quite hard.
If those pants are supposed to be a fullperm-item, which is meant to be retextured and resold by the customer, I would 
ask the creator for the UV layouts. This would help you to know exactly how to paint your textures.

If the item however was just 'modifiable' and not meant to be a resell-able fullperm, you are most likely stuck with using testpattern and a lot trial & error to create new textures for your pants.

Some full perm items are sold with a DAE (Collada) file so you can upload and be listed as the creator. The DAE file can be imported into Blender. Don't freak, if you are not a Blender user. All you need to do is open the UVMap window in Blender so you can see the UVMap.

You can do a screen capture and take that into your image editor to make your texture. There are of course better ways to do this but it will get you going.

There are loads of tutorials for working with UVMaps in Blender. You can export the UV Map image for use in Photoshop or GIMP. That gives you a very nice template for making textures.

Hey Kalli,

in that case it is pretty simple. (well maybe not for starters but easier nontheless : ))

If that texture was the one that is on the meshpants you have, then save it to your computer:

Doubleclick it in secondlife to open the image and click on the 'save as' button in the imagewindow.

This way you have the perfect visual refference 'what has to go where' on the texture.
(like: where to paint the belt, where to put the pants and so on)
Open it in your image editor (GIMP, Photoshop or whatever you might have) and put it as first layer on the bottom.

Then you can start to paint over it. by making new layers. and adding for example.. first the fabric and colors.
Then go back to the first layer and look where the pocket shadows are  and for instance, select this area with a lasso tool, fill it with black, add some blurr filter to it and then put this layer on top and use overlay or multiply as layer type and play with the opacity values so it's not too dark or strong.

You can also use the original image as shadows when desaturating it, and removing all parts that do not represent shadows, and again multiplying or overlaying it onto your new base colors or textures.

If you in generally do not know how to use an image editor and how to create all these things like shadows or how to
simulate folds and curves in your textures or how to work with layers etc, you will need to have a look at tutorials for those. Search on Google for beginner tutorials for the image editor you are using.

For photoshop : http://psd.tutsplus.com/ 
and here http://mashable.com/2010/08/12/12-beginner-tutorials-for-getting-started-with-photoshop/
For Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
Some general Texturing tutorials are here: http://texturing.blogspot.dk/

and here a general tutorial for how to paint wrinkles etc: 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.