Prim Torture (or Sculptie/Mesh) Help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need a sculpted, mesh, or tortured prim that looks exactly like a cone but I want the center of rotation to be at the top (skinny) part of the cone, as if I had a cone linked to a tiny rotating sphere.  I don't want the center of rotation to be half way between the top and bottom part of the cone.  I will be using the cone shape as a spotlight that shines at avatars, but I need the scripted cone to be a child prim linked to other prims that don't move.  That's why I can't just link a cone to a rotating sphere.  I tried using slice on my cone, but that made the top part of the cone too wide (I need it skinny).   That's why I'm looking into tortured prims, or sculpties/mesh.  Can anyone help?

Mesh is the solution.  In any 3D modeling program, simply create a cone, and then add an extra polygon to it, above the apex, equidstant from the base, so that the apex becomes the center point.

Make the extra polygon very small, and no one will see it.  Or, if you want to be doubly sure, you can apply a unique material to it, and then turn that material invisible in SL.

• Like 1

Hmmm... if I can figure out how to do what you said, that will be great.  I will look into it and give it a try.  For now, someone gave me a mesh cone that has the pivot point at the tip of the cone like I wanted, however the bottom part of the cone faces away from (instead of pointing to) nearby avatars now when I use the llLookAt sensor script.  For some reason the pivot point is right, but the part of the cone that is supposed to face the avatar is now also the pivot point.  If I was to figure out how to do what you said, I don't want to produce another mesh cone like this one, so any chance you can tell me what else I need to do to make the forward face (the part that points at the avatar) the cone bottom instead of the cone tip (while keeping the pivot point at the cone tip)?

Either just have the guy who made you this cone rotate it so it faces already the right direction and then apply the location, rotation and scale to it and esport it again. in that case it should behave correctly. 

Or edit the script as Rolig already said, and change the way the rotation is handled.

the rotation procedure allways needs to take the orientation of a certain object into account to work correctly.

(http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rotation)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.