Feeling kind of stupid...

Miieu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...and I need somebody to draw me a picture, apparently. I don't quite grasp how land ownership works. I want a plot of land. I understand that, premium member or not, I have to pay for that plot of land. I will probably, in fact, pay for said plot from a private seller. Now, do I have to pay weekly/montly fees to LL for having/using this land? Or once I purchase the plot is it mine forever and I don't have to pay anything on it ever again?

Thanks, all, for having patience with a land noob.

Miieu wrote:

...and I need somebody to draw me a picture, apparently. I don't quite grasp how land ownership works. I want a plot of land. I understand that, premium member or not, I have to pay for that plot of land. I will probably, in fact, pay for said plot from a private seller. Now, do I have to pay weekly/montly fees to LL for having/using this land? Or once I purchase the plot is it mine forever and I don't have to pay anything on it ever again?

Thanks, all, for having patience with a land noob.

If you're asking a question you're not stupid at all. You can tell the stupid ones on the forum because they do something without understanding, DON'T ask questions first and whine about it later. Anyway...

You'll pay continuing fees for any lot you buy in SL - you can't buy once and then live there free forever.

With a premium membership you can buy land on the "Mainland" directly from Linden Lab and will pay monthly fees to them in hard currency.

With either a premium or basic account you can buy land from a private estate owner - you'll still pay fees to them, generally weekly and in Lindens though some have hard currency options as well. If you buy from a private seller you don't pay anything directly to LL.

Better feeling stupid then doing something stupid :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Mainland:
You need a subscription + land holding fees: these are directly paid to LL
You rent in land size blocks, even if you go over by 1sqm, you endup paying ahell lot more then you actually use so be carefull
Also you need to manually downgrade if your in a higher tier class and are reducing land holdings

Estate:
You don`t need a subscription
The land can be for sale: l$0 (pay tier within 1 hour),  l$week tier or L$purchase+7 days
You will have to pay the estate owner in their desired currency, lindens, paypal or both options available for rent,
Usually it is per week, but some also offer monthly

Hope that helps :)

If you buy from a private estate then if you can afford to do it try to get a monthly tier payment rather than a weekly.  You generally will save money in the long run.  Some estates also give a further discount if you pay in cash via PayPal as this cuts down on the fees they have to pay to LL for converting L's to cash to pay the tier for the sim.

Be sure to shop around.  THe tier on say a 4096 lot will vary by estate. A bit of a higher tier can actually be a better bargain if you get additional amenities or services not offered by other estates that you will use.  Like wise the cheapest tier may not be a bargain either.  If the estate owner is only charging the bare minimum they sometimes don't have enough reserve to pay the sim tier should they end up with empty lots for a time and they end up losing the sim. 

Do a lot of looking around and comparing prices, covenants, and estate owners.  The longer they have been in business generally the more stable the estate is and it is an indication of happy customers.  An estate with a lot of vacancies over all may indicate poor service although if the sim is new that may not be the case at all.  Look at their vacancy rate through out all their sims.

Don't feel stupid, this is a legit question.

You can either "Buy the Land" for L$0 or whatever the seller has it listed for which means it will be in your name under the about land window and then you pay tier to the landlord, or you can simply just pay tier to a landlord and join their group to gain full access to your land.

No such thing as forever land today. You will have to pay 'fees' either to a landlord (fellow resident) or to Linden Lab. There are cases for either way. It is up to  you which to choose.

Landlords sometmies confuse the issue by putting 'buy land for $1 L' on their parcel. But that's not really the case. What you are actually doing is reserving the land. You will then have to pay them monthly rent. Then they pay the tier to Linden Lab.

Or you can cut out the 'middle man' and just buy a parcel of mainland, which you do by right clicking the land and choosing buy. You can get mainland for $1 L per meter or less these days. If you get a premium membership you get free monthly tier of 512 meters. In that case, (if you bought a 512 meter parcel), it would mean that you bought the land once and then had no additional monthly fees.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.