How can i make a prim extend when it is touched/clicked?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How can i make a prim extend when it is touched/clicked?

What I mean by this is say for example, in the stargate series, the big whoosh thing comes 'out' from the gate and then retracts.

Is it possible to make a prim do this kind of action when it is touched/clicked.

Thanks

The place to start is the Particle Laboratory at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Teal/200/61/22 .  That's how most of us started learning how to handle particles.  Spend an afternoon playing with all of the demos and then hanging around in their sandbox.  There's a nice selection of sample effects that you can experiment with.

Bedlam Ansome wrote:

I have no experience of scripting or particle systems, so I don't know really where to start.

Rolig told you where to go to learn how to do particle scripts which aren't hard at all.  They have a all purpose particle script for free that is already written and you can change the variables yourself to get what you want.  There is a tutor display there that explains what all the variables do. You can also pick up some free scripts for various things too.

To learn to script to extend the prim you can take classes in world at a number of places.  Search events for classes.  If you have some RL knowledge of programming or scripting you can probably teach yourself using the Wiki LSL Portal.  I did.  LSL is not difficult to learn if you have some background.

Both things are very handy to know if you are a builder.  It will save you a lot of L's over hiring scripters or buying commercial scripts.

If  you don't want to learn, then post your needs in the Wanted Subforum under Commerce to hire someone who will write a script for you for a fee.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.