How do I make...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It will take 2 prims.  Make the flat prim with the picture texture.  Make another one the same size, hollow it, and place on top to create the frame.  It can be textured separately now.  Alternately, take your picture into a graphics program and create a frame around it and it can be applied to 1 prim as a picture and frame combo.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

It will take 2 prims.  Make the flat prim with the picture texture.  Make another one the same size, hollow it, and place on top to create the frame.  It can be textured separately now.  Alternately, take your picture into a graphics program and create a frame around it and it can be applied to 1 prim as a picture and frame combo.

Sorry for sounding noobish but how do I hollow the box?

Sephina, the information on this page I think is from one or more SL wikis. It is designed for those who are just starting to learn how to build and does not assume any prior knowledge. I used it frequently and I'm sure many other people did as well. It won't teach you how to do all the fabulous things the talented creators can do but it will really help you get started.

Also, look for inworld classes. The only ones I've done were from NCI (and they were really helpful) but there are several other groups that offer classes.

ETA: I like this one because it's pre-mesh. It just deals with the most basic stuff.

This takes only 1 prim.  

Make a cube

Taper the sides of the cube so the top is smaller than the bottom.  (Use taper in the object tab)

The picture has the be available as a texture -- to have a picture of yout choice, you will have to make it and import it. That will cost 10 Lindens.  Here is help on importing textures:

Textures, Pictures. How to make and use them

Drag the texture onto the top of the tapered cube.  The brown sides will form the frame.  You can texture them as wood or anything else you like.

TKR

PS, if you send me an IM in SL, I will give you one, full perm 

Yes, follow Dillon's link, scroll three-quarters down the page or so, and look for "A fun practise exercise."  This employs basically the same idea, with the window being the picture, and the wall being the frame, sized to proper proportions of course.

Edit:  Using 2 prims, you can turn them into convex hull and when you link them, it will be only 1 land impact (equal to 1 prim).  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4053 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.