The resident who provided the previous content, if any, has replaced it with this generic statement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If a JIRA falls in the forest, and there is no-one there to see it, does it make a difference?

It's the same as 'if a tree falls in a forest, and there's no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound?'

In both cases, the answer is no.

In the case of the falling tree, sound only occurs in the ear - when parts of the ear are activated by waves of air. Before the activation, there are only waves of air, and they are silent. Of course, any ears will covert the waves to sound. They don't need to be human ears.

In the case of the falling JIRA, someone looking at it is needed before it can make a difference. If nobody looks at it, it cannot make a difference.

:)

Considering the Jira loop now generally doesn't get closed in terms of the reporter being informed when an issue has been fixed anyway, it doesn't matter if the reporter is around to hear it fall, the sound of silence prevails, the noise will be heard in the release notes forest, if you're lucky.

the jira forest grows wild I think when we plant a jira tree ourselves and then not tend it ourselves afterwards

I not ever made hardly any jiras. but them I do I watch. if anybody comment then I get the email. and I go back periodic to see whats happened to it

the jira foresters chop my jira trees down most times. like resolved. usual the resolution is duplicate or combine with others the same. or resolved like fixed. or resolved like cant fix ever or works as intended etc

+

sometimes if a jira I planted just sits there for ages and nothing. then I make a comment to the foresters like: can close this if you want bc if is nothing going to happen about it then is better to close and then I not have to worry about it anymore

like I rather get a No than a Nothing

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

16 wrote:

the jira forest grows wild I think when we plant a jira tree ourselves and then not tend it ourselves afterwards

I not ever made hardly any jiras. but them I do I watch. if anybody comment then I get the email. and I go back periodic to see whats happened to it

the jira foresters chop my jira trees down most times. like resolved. usual the resolution is duplicate or combine with others the same. or resolved like fixed. or resolved like cant fix ever or works as intended etc

+

sometimes if a jira I planted just sits there for ages and nothing. then I make a comment to the foresters like: can close this if you want bc if is nothing going to happen about it then is better to close and then I not have to worry about it anymore

like I rather get a No than a Nothing

Thank you.  You've helped me with my question.  My understanding of the September 2012 JIRA changes is that no one is going to comment on a new JIRA because no one sees them. Before if there were duplicates everyone could watch the non-duplicate until resolved.   Now I don't know what happens.  If someone had a duplicate of your new JIRA and you later let it go bc you don't want to wait forever.....   what happens to all those duplicates?  Do they somehow know you're not waiting anymore?  Does one of their become the prime?   Is it not handled at all?

There are some JIRA's open to view, add to and comment on, mainly those involving new developments like CHUI.  We a re allowed to chew on those. 

But most of the time we are just treated like ducks.

i only made 2 BUG jiras under the new system

the first one got assigned to SEC in about 24 hours. I not had any problems with the issue since. and I been able to use my attached media ever since and not crash everyone. so that was good

the second one was about my Belkin router when I first get. I say what my probem was and a person whose not a linden. is a TPV dev. who got access to BUG ask can I give more info. so give that. and they say is this. do this. so I do and was all good after that. was only 2 days altogether to get the fix. so that was good as well

I comment on a CHUI general jira about the chatbar. say what I want. then I find out after that Ciaran Laval made a request jira for the same thing. so I just add my watch to that one. linden have put in the beta chui viewer now. so all good

3 out of 3 so far (:

I been get involved in the vehicle sim crossings problem as well. but only on the Server forums. bc the JIRA 1814 was report as a bug by another person so I cant see it or watch. but it turn out ok bc I start to make vids on the youtube about it and then post the youtubes on the Server forum (: bc I didn't know

Maestro Linden then say yes is fix coming on the Magnum for them vids so ok

4 out of 4 now (:

+

edit add: I made same in the olden days but they used to get like ignored. so I used to keep adding comments like I was saying before. after a time linden resolve them like I mention

am pretty persistent me. I be polite as I can. but I not give up easy. i want a answer: yes or no. i rather have a yes but if all they got is a no. then ok. so just persist until I get one or other. getting nothing like silence is not a option for me (:

like I just keep talking until actual told: Yes ok. or No bc of blah blah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.