Desperate. Real real desperate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For 2 days I have been looking for a house for me and my friend and we were going to adopt a child. My friend works as a dancer striving off tips. She now has 340L. And I try to do offers and look for houses for the money I barely get. Can you guys please help us find a house or apartment that is two bedrooms at least? For a budget of 30L a week

Impossible.  You may find a skybox or apartment that rents 30L a week, but it will be one small room, unfurnished or VERY sparsely furnished, no radio or TV and you will get a very tiny prim allowance.  They probably remain full most of the time too so even if you should find some there may not be a vacancy.

A search of classifieds shows none advertised at 30L but a few at 50L a week.   But they are going to be not much better than the 30L.

Places this cheap are not places you want to raise a child in, unless they are a sardine. A two bedroom house is going to run you a few hundred a week minimum.  Maybe both of you should get better jobs and then look for a child to adopt who is willing to pitch in on the rent.

There used to be places that rented rezidence units and holodecks very cheaply, 25 to 50L a week, very nice units. Now, when I search for rezidence units, I only find where they are sold, not rented. There are places that rent skyboxes for 40 to 50 L per week, pay so many weeks in advance and receive a 25% discount. 85L a week seems to be the cheapest you can get with enough prims to do it up nicely using traditional methods of decorating. However, even the most basic skyboxes now have nice panorama windows and basic furnishing. There are furniture designers that make one prim entire suites of furniture ... I can decorate a box using 5 or 10 prims and make it look very nice. Of course, the furniture costs, but there are promos and deals and ways to earn L in SL. If you find a cheap enough place, and have me added to the land group so I can rez, I'll come over and decorate for you, gratis.

Regarding what Amethyst said, about such cheap places being no place to raise a child, that would depend on the RP scenario.

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

Regarding what Amethyst said, about such cheap places being no place to raise a child, that would depend on the RP scenario.

LOL i was referring to the size of most skyboxes in that price range.  Three people living in a tiny skybox with only 10 prims to  use between them, are going to get on each other's nerves quickly. 

The super cheap rentals mostly went the way of the Dodo bird. 

The reason is that the land business went bust. Landlords can no longer afford to offer cheap rentals because they have fewer clients who are renting the expensive properties. 

There was a domino effect in SL same as in RL and with similar consequences. Affordable housing is harder and harder to find in RL also. Houses are being foreclosed upon, then snapped up, flipped for premium rent prices, but not premium quality. Or snapped up, and sat upon until the market changes or to prevent the market collapsing more or both.

Similarly a lot of mainland is dormant or unused, and most people struggle to pay tier. 

Sorry the long and short of it is as others said too, you are not going to find a big house for 30L a week. No one can afford to take the loss to underwrite your dream. If I may suggest, I would recommend you get a Linden home. It is free with a premium membership and with your weekly stipend you come out about even. If you decorate it right, you can make little spaces inside, to accomodate everyone (depending which house model you choose.)

Good luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...

If you really want to pay, then 50 lindens a week may get you a furnished hotel room on some sims.

I would say though that if you put in the effort, its not that hard to get considerably more per week by doing some fairly minimal stuff. Even doing some of those "go to a sim, open a vault" kind of traffic things will get you more than that after a day of hopping sims. A decent costume competition can win you a lot more, should you be prepared to draft in some friends to assist with voting.

There is the option of squatting on some long forgotten, no return land, if you are prepared to do some quality exploration to locate a suitable spot that genuinely isn't being used (more than enough of this on mainland).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.