BOTs stored in Linden Seas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Qie Niangao wrote:

That would certainly make it easier, but I am of the understanding that LL has quit sending that client identification information out altogether. I could be wrong.

well unless they didn't do what OZ said they were going to do you'd be correct that they no longer send the info

I didn't know that. I don't follow such things. That only thing that I heard was that LL disallowed TPVs from providing the user with any information that the LL viewer doesn't give them. I didn't know that LL had stopped sending that information to the viewer.

So now I'm wondering if a programme can 'query' an avatar and get client-specific responses. Even if it could, it could still only make a reasoned deduction that an avatar is a bot. It couldn't know that it's one.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I didn't know that. I don't follow such things. That only thing that I heard was that LL disallowed TPVs from providing the user with any information that the LL viewer doesn't give them. I didn't know that LL had stopped sending that information to the viewer.

So now I'm wondering if a programme can 'query' an avatar and get client-specific responses. Even if it could, it could still only make a reasoned deduction that an avatar is a bot. It couldn't know that it's one.

I know this happens when you use Firestorm Report Support Group.  When you post in group it states which version of FS you are using.  My memory is furry right now, but I think the first time I posted in the group I was queried by a pop up if it was OK to send that info.

People posting using other viewers would not show any info.

What makes you think out of 9 Billion people on this planet that all the smartest ones are in Second Life?  Sounds a little like your jealous that you didn't figure out or something and its so logical.  Reminds me of that scene in Good Will Hunting when Matt Daemon's character figures out a math problem that one of the mathematicians in the group couldn't figure out and he walked out of the room demoralized and pissed.  You people on this game are to much for the party. 

You're quite a card, aren't you? When you have the programming abilities that I have (i.e. that which you call 'smart'), come back and we'll discuss how smart you are ;)

You've already had one of your posts in this thread deleted. You need to learn how to discuss things rationally instead of pretending that you're smarter than everyone else, and insulting anyone who you perceive as thinking otherwise.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I know this happens when you use Firestorm Report Support Group.  When you post in group it states which version of FS you are using.  My memory is furry right now, but I think the first time I posted in the group I was queried by a pop up if it was OK to send that info.

So the in-range avatar's client information is still sent to the user. If that's the case, then it's only possible for a bot detector to make an 'educated' guess as to whether or not an avatar is a bot. It would be right many times but it can't be right with any certainty because of reasons mentioned earlier. There are bot programmes on sale and buyers will no doubt just use them as is, so, with those, a bot detector could be right pretty much all of the time. But there are also a lot of bots using other clients. For instance, I used to run dozens of bots simultaneously, all using my own client.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So the in-range avatar's client information is still sent to the user. If that's the case, then it's only possible for a bot detector to make an 'educated' guess as to whether or not an avatar is a bot. It would be right many times but it can't be right with any certainty because of reasons mentioned earlier. There are bot programmes on sale and buyers will no doubt just use them as is, so, with those, a bot detector could be right pretty much all of the time. But there are also a lot of bots using other clients. For instance, I used to run dozens of bots simultaneously, all using my own client.

I have absolutely no idea how this works.  You'd have to ask one of the FS Devs.

The issue came up back when Oz announced they were turning off the function server side.  Knowing exactly what Viewer someone was using was important for support purposes.  Apparently this work around is acceptable to LL. 

If there is a way for me to query another Phoenix/Firestorm user as to what version they are using I have no idea.

I do know if I have RLV enabled I can query to see if another user has it enabled and also get the info what version they are using.

Interesting stuff.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Actually I imagine most bots put almost no load on the servers because they don't move, don't need much visual information and usually are very simple to draw. There's a region in Bay City that has a club that's notorious in the neighborhood for being constantly full and dragging down sim performance. I recently went to that particular sim and saw a cluster of obvious bots on another part of the region in open non-commercial land. I had a thought - they were probably put there to reduce the number of "real" avatars that could go to the club and therefore improve the performance of the sim. The region did seem to be running quite well after botting.

Yes, I have seen the same thing on a different sim.  And that is what the sim owner said when I asked what was up with the bots.   The sim was perpetually laggy but is now running reasonably well with with a stable of 15 bots keeping the number of real avatars down to a managable level.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.