I have an idea for new creations...need honest opinions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Background: In real life I am training to become a pastry chef , has traditional and digital art training and 4 years of computer programming.

okay here we go.

I was thinking about creating mesh or prim food and desserts for a cafe ,That when clicked will give (once brought) an actual recipe of mine. Sort of like ordering the food from an actual place in real life 

For example: A plate of rose french macaroon ice cream bars.There will be inworld models of the macaroon bars that you will be given;as a (present)way to show how the food should look when finished as with cook books, and a fully detailed recipe maybe as a note card or image file.

What do you think about  my idea?

would any one be willing to "beta test" for me?

And any ideas on how I can possibly improve on or change anything?

Thank you for your time,

Xeanes.

Sounds a great idea. A couple of years ago we set up a sort of simple 'recipe a day' dispenser in a group meeting hangout - basically gave out a notecard. Add in some great mesh as well and good presentation and - yep sounds like a winner. Plus added bonus - good looking low LI food items would be a neat sideline in themselves. Good luck =^^=

Not only is this a fantastic idea, it's among the most practical uses for virtual world technology one could think of.  In essence, you're selling a 3D cookbook.  Instead of having to settle for mere pictures of the food, the customer gets a fully interactive 3D model of it.  That's huge.

I wouldn't limit this idea to just SL if I were you.  I'd also turn it into a mobile app, so people can use it right in their kitchens as they cook.  I could see this being tremendously popular if you do it right.

Thanks ! i actually though about setting up a website but since i am not able to take step by step pictures i decided to do the inworld 3d models...BUT the website does sound life a good idea maybe in the future fashion it as a community contribution site when people could send in their own pictures and rcipe results...just a thought..

I love the idea as well- many people here value their roleplay and I bet that would be something great for a couple of friends/ partners etc. to attempt and do together. 

My only concern is in regards to the notecards.

So much theft goes on here you know?  Someone made the suggestion of being able to copy them into word, but that just means the next yoo-hoo can copy and paste your idea/creation and pass it off.  I'd suggest selling them as non-modifiable notecards/textures and place two in the pack (one transferable) so that you can pass it to a friend/ RP family member to cook/play with (not that this would stop it from happening entirely).

That makes me wonder o.O  can you copyright a recipe? <--is currently googling-

Good luck with this great idea!

Its hard to copy right a recipe..especially if it is just a variation on other recipes or idea but ORIGINAL creations can be copy written and those recipes I wont share ..although i might make inworld models just because :)

and even though i have computer programming experience...its mainly with robotics (i just graduated from  a magnet math and science high school - i took dual enrollment classes at a college for engineering and digital art  ) im still a bit confused with these "scripts" here in second life ...

The answer is no, you cannot copyright a recipe.  Under the legal definition, a recipe is not a work of literature, but rather is a set of instructions and/or a list.  If a recipe is unique enough, it can be patented, but that's a whole other subject.

What can be copyrighted are accompanying materials, such as the 3D models we've been discussing here, or pictures, or expressive literary descriptions, or anything else that sufficiently meets the legal definition of a creative work.

As for the notecard thing, I really wouldn't worry about that.  Making it no-mod wouldn't prevent anyone from copying and pasting the text, and making it a texture wouldn't stop anybody from just retyping it.  If somebody wants to copy it, there's no technical means to prevent it.  No sense wasting energy on things you can't control.  As with all other media, most people will buy, some will steal, and the world will keep turning.

Does any one know of any good animations for eating ? for example sandwiches, using a spoon,fork and or knife, or drinking from a cup or straw.I  want to put out a few test items once my other  computer gets fixed.

If you search the marketplace, there are tons.  They're also pretty easy to make, if you want to learn how, or you could hire an animator to make them for you.

I know Medhue Simoni sells a bunch of food items with animations incliuded.  You might want to ask him if he'd sell you the animations alone, without the models.

I'm a few days late in responding to this, but if you want to see something like this in action you should most definitely go visit Alchemy Cyannis's sim. She has a really adorable bakery and is doing exactly this thing. I bought one of the petite fours set's she has and it gives out the item for RP purposes but also gives out the recipe. It's the most well done I've seen anyone do it...and a few have done it over the years. I don't think she sells them through the marketplace just her store so you'd have to actually go there. Definitely worth a look see if you are looking for ideas on it. I don't know if this URL is still accurate but this is what is listed on her marketplace listings http://slurl.com/secondlife/Alchemy%20Immortalis/67/46/65/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.