Playing mp3 in the internal browser

Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Until recently, I have been able to play web-sited mp3 files like http://ia700509.us.archive.org/11/items/ificanstop_1007_librivox/ificanstop_dickinson_lkp.mp3 in world on my viewer's internal browser.  Sometime this winter, though, they stopped working.  I can still play them with no problems on my external browser, and the internal browser appears to connect to the site --- but no audio.  I've tried several viewers and have checked to be sure that Qucktime and Flash are up to date and that my AV and firewall are OK with slplugin.exe.  It's a mild annoyance for me personally, but more of a problem for the in-world library where we have a large collection of web-linked audio books in mp3 format.  Does anyone have a clue why the in-world browser doesn't play them?

EDIT -- Interesting, Freya. Thanks.  I didn't know that.  I'll give it a try (although I'm a bit nervous about wiping my saved bookmarks by mistake).  I'd be surprised if that was the answer, though.  After all, I have had Firefox on this machine for years and this problem only arose a month or two ago. 

EDIT2 -- And it doesn't make any difference.  I just downloaded and re-installed Firefox from mozilla.org -- where I'm sure it probably came from in the first place, now that I think of it -- and it makes no difference to the behavior I'm seeing with the in-world browser.

EDIT 3 -- Thanks to Codewarrior.  I have just filed BUG-2039 to get LL's attention.  We'll see what happens.

5 answers to this question

Do you have Mozilla Firefox installed on your PC?

The internal browser is a variation of Firefox that lacks support for a fair variety of extended functions, and the viewer doesn't install Mozilla libraries into the OS, it just copies it. Installing Firefox independently of your viewer (as in, installing it from mozilla.org), allows the internal browser to function more fully. Reason is that it can finally pull required data from the full Firefox install.

• Like 1

Hey Rolig, 

tried to do some research as well. can't find any entries about 'active changes' for the internal browser and i bet you did that already too.

However i found related JIRA entries pointing at the same issue:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-5600

It appears it has something to do with the mozilla plugins for SL. (rather then with mozilla / firefox installation itself)

Description:
URLs loaded in-world in the built-in Mozilla Web browser using llLoadURL work fine except when the URL directly loads an MP3 audio file or PDF/PPT document, in which cases a black browser window opens in Second Life; nothing plays or displays and the user has no clue. I know you can switch to an external browser in Preferences (old behaviour), but this is not the ideal solution. In-world browsing is great, much needed, and should be improved. I suggest a small modification whereby the Viewer parses the URL and detects those URLs calling MP3 and similar files and, just when it is the case, opens an external browser for viewing these file types (otherwise, the URL is to be normally opened in the built-in browser). Not perfect I know, as some URLs are redirects, etc., and it's not always easy to guess/detect the target file type. An alternative solution would be adding a 'Nothing Displayed? Open in External Browser' button to the built-in browser window to allow the user to open the URL in an external Web browser.

It is an older issue and appears others have already encountered this in pre 2012. But might be based on the same cause. Preventing potentially dangerous files to be opened in the inworld browser. Might be LL decided to change something on the browser behaviour once more.

• Like 1

Thanks. I didn't spot that JIRA when I looked earlier, but that's probably it. LL must have done something recently to revive this older problem. The description is exactly what I'm seeing. I'm going to go ahead and file a new JIRA on this one myself and see if it does any good.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.