Different colors in base mesh

Charles Hera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

legissue.png

So I obviously did something wrong here but have no idea what. About ready to toss it in, but would like to know what's going on.

This is all one material. While this is now joined into one mesh there were several mesh objects before joining. The top (darkest), the rectangular piece, and the bottom leg (all one piece made from a cylinder).  I checked the materials and they look correct. Clicking on them in order shows that they are identical (or at least I don't know what I am looking for).

The bottom leg looks better in the viewer but still lighter than the other parts. When I upload it on Aditi and set the texture to blank and color to light gray (all parts as this is now one mesh), this is what I get. Particularly strange is the leg which is simply a cylinder with an extruded cap.

This is not just a function of the light. I tried several light settings and it remains a problem.

Any ideas what I did to get here would be appreciated. Thanks.

it could still be a 'light' problem so to say. but based on the orientation of the normals on that lower leg, and by that interpreting light the wrong way / angle.

You might want to select that part in blender and do a - normals - recalculate outside on it.

Or you accidentally stretched the texture up to an extend that it 'appears' to be too bright. But i'd give the first one a go and re-orientate the normals.

OK. Well not the normals. Same look but happily the Aditi grid is working again.

I took the problematic leg by itself, did a quick and dirty map and uploaded JUST the leg and that was fine. So remapping may work, BUT I haven't tested it as a JOINED object. Most likely that won't happen today. Thanks for your help. I'll update when I remap on the joined object.

If I understand correctly, the object in SL is one mesh object, not a linkset, so by definition the "different parts" have the same texture and colour.

What I think is going on is the smoothing groups being setup incorrectly. It looks like the edge between column and top of the base isn't sharp. Since you used some shininess, the effect is very visible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.