Windows 8 doesnt recognize my new video card

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was perfectly happy with Windows 7, but in upgrading my desktop computer I ended up getting one with Windows 8. This is normally not a problem, but for some reason my new HP Pavilion p7-1414 won't recognize my new NVideo GeForce GTX650 card from PNY. The computer is a AMD quad core, uses a radeon graphics chip onboard for graphics, but when I added the card it will normally accept it and I can load drivers and all, but in the windows 8 I can't get it to even recognize the card. I tried to load the drivers and it said it was incompatible with the radeon chip--which makes sense, but it should be fine for the new card.

So frustrated. I put in a new power supply, now an expensive card, and getting no where.

Any ideas how to get Windows 8 to play nice with the new card?

It sounds like you didn't disable the onboard graphics when you installed the card - that doesn't happen automatically when you plug in a new video card, nor would you necessarily want it to. Disabling onboard graphics is a pretty routine operation and you should be able to find instructions for it from Microsoft, HP and/or Nvidia.

The PSU in the HP machine is only 300W and Nvidia recommends a minimum of 400W for the Nvidia GTX 650 so you did need the new PSU assuming it is at least 400W and preferable higher.

Make sure the Nvidia GTX 650 is seated properly.

Is the fan on the graphics card spinning? If not there is no power going to it so check the PCI-E 6-pin power connection from your new PSU to the graphics card.

If it is spinning then you probably need to disable onboard graphics or perhaps update the motherboard BIOS or both.

May be a good idea to contact PNY Support http://www3.pny.com/support/support_landing_cat.aspx?SectionID=1143&ArticleID=1311&RootSectionID=1143

Had my new machine ship with Windows 8 (they refunded that when I reminded them I didn't order it with Windows 8).  Couldn't believe it, the W8 install they shipped on the machine didn't have the right video drivers for it.  Fixed it by installing Linux (granted, was going to do it anyway, but still, path of least resistence even for Windows users isn't Windows 8).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.