Second Life as an experiment in Anarchy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

+

I think I better invade your lands before you serf start breeding. bc my massive army of one is not much outnumbered at this time

Egad. I shall alert the Border guards. Just as soon as I have some.

And you have more than one border.

It's that damn road: they can come at me from either direction! I tried putting up barricades but the Lab keeps sending them back to me.

I don't need a road.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

+

I think I better invade your lands before you serf start breeding. bc my massive army of one is not much outnumbered at this time

Egad. I shall alert the Border guards. Just as soon as I have some.

And you have more than one border.

It's that damn road: they can come at me from either direction! I tried putting up barricades but the Lab keeps sending them back to me.

I don't need a road.

;-)

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

+

peasant rentals was the trigger that lead to the eventual breakdown of the feudalism system and lay the foundation for modern western democracy

I agree with that explanation entirely. The ability to move from serf to peasant was a huge thing.

In fact, it's the very reason I refuse to allow a friend who maintains a teensy (and rarely used, sadly: she is almost never inworld) skybox above my property to pay rent. I told her it was straight up feudal rules all the way. Getting 50% of her produce hasn't worked out too well, given that she's produced approximately 0.00 so far, but one of these days her first born son will be old enough to join SL. I look forward to finally having an army.

As the peasant (or is it serf? I'm so confused) in question, I'd like to point out that the produce I offer is friendship. And while I concede that said SL produce has been in practically non-existent supply in recent months (pesky RL and all that), I think you can agree, judging by a certain screen capture image I sent you a couple of weeks ago, that you are getting at least 50% of my SL produce. :)

I'll start training my first born son for your army. By the time he's old enough for SL, he'll hopefully be better than I am at making time for his beloved SL friends!

Quinn Morani wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

+

peasant rentals was the trigger that lead to the eventual breakdown of the feudalism system and lay the foundation for modern western democracy

I agree with that explanation entirely. The ability to move from serf to peasant was a huge thing.

In fact, it's the very reason I refuse to allow a friend who maintains a teensy (and rarely used, sadly: she is almost never inworld) skybox above my property to pay rent. I told her it was straight up feudal rules all the way. Getting 50% of her produce hasn't worked out too well, given that she's produced approximately 0.00 so far, but one of these days her first born son will be old enough to join SL. I look forward to finally having an army.

As the peasant (or is it serf? I'm so confused) in question, I'd like to point out that the produce I offer is friendship. And while I concede that said SL produce has been in practically non-existent supply in recent months (pesky RL and all that), I think you can agree, judging by a certain screen capture image I sent you a couple of weeks ago, that you are getting at least 50% of my SL produce.
:)

I'll start training my first born son for your army. By the time he's old enough for SL, he'll hopefully be better than I am at making time for his beloved SL friends!

you defo a serf. you being enslaved by that vassal person. I am defo going to invade now to set you free. I not want anything in return ok. I just do bc I am for freedom

will be the same for your firstborn. he will grow up in a free land. and he will join my army bc he wants to and not bc he is made to by them vassal types what just come and take your firstborns just bc they can

is my cunning plan. am going to take over the whole world. oops! I mean set everybody free

(:

Serf is correct, you would have to move into a whole new bracket to be a peasant. I do appreciate the produce. I can bask in it but I can't sell it, hence my valuation number. As for the kid—there's a place for him in my army (he would BE my army, actually)—but I believe you should advise him to run do not walk as far from Second Life as he can get. There be nitwits here.

+

16 covets my domain. She is not to be trusted.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

There be nitwits here

16 covets my domain. She is not to be trusted.

yes is true. do not. am so can ask anybody

and if they not tell the truth then they telling lies. and if they not know what the truth is then am happy to tell them. just so they can know. am good like that I am. not like some people what tell you lies

don't have to believer me you know. if you don't tho then is maybe something wrong with you. like maybe you got some kind of nitwitlessness. but that ok. I can help with that. am a expert on nitlesswitness i am. i had lots of practice. like heaps

jejejejeje (:

• 1 year later...

I don't know, if you are still working on the issue, but this might be interesting for you:

http://kareneliot.de/projects/anarchotopia.html

“Anarchotopia” is a virtual island in Second Life, providing free space for anybody. Users are allowed to build whatever they like, in any style or size they wish.

Since land in Second Life is very expensive, this seems to be a great gift. But be aware: The space is limited and everyone can delete any objects or eject other avatars.

The emerging picture will show, whether people would fight each other or live together in peace and create a beautiful place in a shared area.

TheRealKarenEliot wrote:

I don't know, if you are still working on the issue, but this might be interesting for you:

“Anarchotopia” is a virtual island in Second Life, providing free space for anybody. Users are allowed to build whatever they like, in any style or size they wish.

Since land in Second Life is very expensive, this seems to be a great gift. But be aware: The space is limited
and everyone can delete any objects or eject other avatars.

The emerging picture will show, whether people would fight each other or live together in peace and create a beautiful place in a shared area.

Hmm, in a anarchy situation people would arm themselves, and protect their land, and family (core groups)  So, the situation where "anyone" can delete or eject won't hold true for all over.  

To me anarchy means without a "public" enforced government.  But, doesn't mean that individuals wouldn't have the ability to prevent others from taking their belongings, etc.  (deleting their objects)

(But, an aside:   I think people (in general) are inherently good, and if given the opportunity, will choose to cooperate for mutual benefit, so anarchy has a chance to be a positive.  It's how human society evolved.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.