Mesh Problem, Uploading specifically (Solved)

Voshiku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks for the information, I went back and checked my model, inside the little detail meshes I added were screwing with the specific mesh that was screwing up, now I sort of have a new issue I need help with though, so it's fine one minute.

NotProblem2.png

But if I walk too far away or zoom out too far, the mesh just.. idk what to say, any idea on why it does this/ is there a fix?

Problem1.png

OK. Now I know I am the new kid on the block so take what I say with that in mind.

That looks like a fairly simple mesh object, It might not be of course but it looks that way. Your issue for sure is your 2nd and maybe 3rd LODs (this from the distance you took the photo).  While you certainly can make LOD models for each different LOD (those show up in your upload window on the first pane), you can also TEST what happens if you just change the sliders -- lowering the numbers of the 3rd and 4th LOD and upping the number of the 2nd). The last LOD (what you see furthest away) will most likely not matter. It certainly hasn't in my tests. I do not need to see a perfectly shaped vase from all the way across the sim for example.

Typically with items like yours I use the full model for the top two LODs and then go down a bunch on the third and make the last one as low as it will go. By that method and assuming you  have a fairly low poly mesh, you should be able to get that sword down to .5LI or at least 1 which since I assume you will be wearing it, should be good.

You can test all this on the ADITI grid which you may already be friends with. If not, know that you need to do a new MESH test for ADITI, the AGNI mesh upload test will not suffice.

The reason that I typically let the uploader "make" the LODs for me is that with some testing it seems to do a very good job -- especially on small and simple things. If it doesn't do a good job for you, then you can certainly make less complex models of your sword to upload as the LODs for the lower settings.

Just a thought. *wink*

Try setting the LODs medium and Low as in the screen shot below

sword.png

edired to add:

Looking at your sword handle i noticed you  haven't used smooth shading . You will find you  don't need  to use circles with 32 vertices for parts with such a small diameter if you select that part of the mesh and activate Smooth shading from the Tool panel .

Untitled.png

I'm just about to pop off to bed, but in the morning I'll give your advice a go and hopefully it'll turn out splendid! I'm just slightly annoyed because I've wasted near 200 lindens uploading failed swords. xD Night

You must use the beta grid as  Chic has already pointed out to you  .

Especially when you are new to mesh you will find for one reason or another first uploads are never perfect , so why waste your L$'s

Personally i almost always test there before bringing stuff onto the main grid.

Anyways I hope that you have a better day tomorrow 

The beta grid is Aditi. You will have to take the mesh upload test specifically for the beta grid and set your client to let you log into other grids.

Aditi has several mesh sandboxes you can use and you get an arbitrary amount of Linden to spend that is disconnected from your account -- Like 40k or so. It's very buggy and unstable, but it's perfect for avoiding a ton of waste. Try a google search and see how far that gets you.

Edit: By mesh upload test, I mean the pointless Intellectual Property pop quiz they make you take to cover their butts in case of lawsuits.

I do not know what this beta chic is can you explain to me?

The 'what it is' i think the others answers greatly already.

The how to get there was maybe a bit short, so here in addition: 

You have to enable the Grid Selector on your viewer by pressing : Ctrl + Shift +G when you are in your login screen in the viewer. This will bring up an additional field next to password and name where u can choose the grid. In this case you need  to choose: Secondlife Betagrid (aditi).

As location (should you have problems at the Regionhandshake) you can use Pathtest1. Once you are in you can open the map and search for sandboxes. (like mesh sandbox 22, mesh sandbox 6, and so on) and just teleport there.

And as Rhakis already mentioned you have to make the Intelectual Property Tutorial again for the Aditi Grid.
Schould the Viewer bring you to a blank page (there is an issue with that at the moment) - you can  manually open this link here to verify for the upload: Aditi IP Tutorial Start: codewarrior | Second Life

For more info about the Testgrid read here: 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

Cheers, Code

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.