Can't log main account, alt accounts are fine. Any suggestions?

Kieren Southmoor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On logging in, the progress bar gets to completion, and I get a glimpse of SL, and then my viewer crashes. This is happening on Firestorm AND the SL viewer. However, my alt accounts log in with no problem. 

I haven't received any kind of notice from LL that would lead me to believe there's an issue with this particular account. I've also tried the troubleshooting methods listed in the Firestorm links, to no avail. I've tried deleteing the index and data files (as the help link suggested), and also the open notifications files. I also did a clean install yesterday of both viewers, and I still cannot log in.

I'm ready to put up a reward for the answer that gets me through this problem.

I can't access my SL business without this account, so this is very important to me.

2 answers to this question

I vote for Lindal's solution. This problem caused me 2 weeks of grief until I remembered an ALT account I had in the group with the role and permission to fix up memberships and tag strings. LL couldn't fix this for me I'm sad to say. Even after we totally understood this was the issue :(

The rule of thumb is:

1) Never use "special" characters in group tags. [imagine picking the wrong special character and doing this to 100's of loyal VIPs]

2) When you make a group and the roles for it, always ALWAYS have an ALT with owner level permissions assigned Just in Case.

3) If you join someone else's group, look at the tag your everyone role assigned you. If it contains other than the classic special characters, test your ability to logout and then login while wearing that tag.

4) As a general rule, I usually set my Active Group to none when I don't need the tag or permissions.

Just sain'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.