How can I create clothes using a free easy program?

YukiYami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

There are a number of "free" programs that you can use to make clothing.  It's the "easy" part that is going to be the tripping point.  Actually, clothing making is not hard........it's learning the software, how it works to accomplish what is necessary for clothing in SL.  Well, I suppose you can make clothing using the in-world tools that most (all?) viewers have but those are going to be very primitive looking.........I don't think you would be satisfied at all.

You say Blender seems hard for you......well, it probably is since it appears you have no knowledge about image/texture editing or creating.  Microsoft Paint would be hard in that case too.  Pick an image editing program (I suggest GIMP instead of Blender).  Learn what the program will do (which is basically anything you want it to do as far as editing and creating is concerned), practice basics until you fully understand them, then dig into the more "complicated" stuff (like color depth, image size or resolution, aspec ratio and how it relates to image size.........and, by all means, learn the powers of 2 if you intend to create anything in SL and not have it distorted). 

All that can be easy or complicated......it depends on just how much you are willing to put the effort to.

• Like 3

Following on from Peggy's excellent suggestion, here's a rather old, but very good tutorial on making a dress with Gimp, and here are some more.

You will also find hundreds of tutorials on YouTube about Gimp in general and Gimp for SL in particular.

In-world, Builders Brewery offer free classes in Gimp.  I've not been to any of them, but if they are anything like the Buiders Brewery classes I have attended, they will be very good indeed.

• Like 3

"Making clothes" is a complex subject, because clothing consists of multiple parts.

First, there are clothing textures.  The shirts, pants, jackets, etc.  These are TEXTURES and they are created by painting on flat templates in a paint program like GIMP (free) or Photoshop (decidedly NOT free, ouch!)  You can download clothing templates from several places...do a Google search for "Second Life clothing templates".

Then there are prim attachments.  Skirts, cuffs, collars...anything that stands out away from the body.  These can be made with the basic in-world building tools, but very often these days they are made of "sculpted prims", or sculpties.  Sculpties are made in a 3D modeling program like Blender (free) or Maya or LightWave 3D ($$$).  After the model is made, a "weight map" is exported from the modeling program and is used to "shape" the sculpty in Second Life.  There are some in world tools like Prim Generator that can make sculpties from assemblies of ordinary prims that you create in world.

And, there is Mesh.  Mesh is an actual 3D model that, again, is made in Blender or another 3D modeling program.  Then the mesh is saved as a Collada (.dae) file and uploaded to Second Life. 

Mesh clothing is "rigged".  That is, it is tied to the avatar skeleton so that it bends and moves with you.  Rigged mesh can't be re-sized, so it is generally offered in multiple sizes to fit more avatars.

Perhaps the trickiest part of either sculpties or mesh is texturing them.  You need to create a UV map of the model in the original modeling software.  This involves "unwrapping" the model and laying it out in two dimensions.  Imagine peeling the skin off an apple, then cutting the skin so it lays flat.  This template is then imported into a paint program (see the first paragraph above), and a texture is painted on it.  This texture is then applied to the model back in the 3D modeling program, before uploading it to Second Life, or it can be saved separately and applied as a texture in SL.

My suggestion:  First learn GIMP, and learn to make clothing textures.  Then tackle the harder bits like sculpties and mesh.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.