EmilyHuxley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the end it doesn't matter, because all textures are converted to a totally different format (not full JPEG 2000, but a JPEG 2000 code stream without the header) when you upload them.

On your end, save to whatever format you're comfortable using. There can be some gotchas with alpha channels and the way Photoshop saves each of those two file types, but that issue doesn't really matter for skins.

Yes people do create skins from scratch and it is a long time consuming process.  Someone had to create those templates that so many beginning skin makers use.  However, a friend of mine creates them from scratch and each one involves weeks of work.

Skins have evolved over the years.  When I first joined SL I bought one of the best skins available.  Still it looked more like a cartoon than a human as there was very little shading and highlighting.  It was basically a flesh colored suit with a few shadows to define prominent body parts and some makeup on the face.  There was no musculature or details such as veining, blemishes, freckles or hair (except for crude men's beards and eyebrows).  Over the years skin makers got a lot better at their craft as you can see with the skins available today.

There are vids on YouTube about creating skins for SL if you want to learn more.

SID Riler wrote:

And sometimes once the skin is created, the only thing they do is change the eye and lip make up, and we all go, Ohh Ahhh a new realease from so and so, not so much, but I guess it is a lot of work

Many skin creators use the same body on a few other skins, and only change the face.  Some do only change the makeup on the face too.  However on a quality skin this is still a lot of work that could take days.  Download a free skin template and try it yourself to see.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.