Can't see avatar, everything sloooooow....

liko2k

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I'm returning SL user. After several years (10 perhaps) I decided to return to SL....But...

I can see that things got worse!  Despite having 10 times more powerful rig than the last time (i5 2500 + Radeon HD 7950 card) and 50Mb wired internet connection, the SL is extremely slow to load...Scenery takes ages to render, my avatar is just white oval (despite numerous tries of changing it to male/female version, log in/ out ect....)

I am really disappointed what has become of the SL universe ...It used to be so fun to play; now it is utterly unplayable... :(

Please help or should I just uninstall it and forget? :(

ps. is there some sort of offline installer which would keep majority of stuff on my HDD instead of loading it everytime I login?

2 answers to this question

You seem to have two problems.  First is a bake fail issue. As you know, information about your appearance has to be "baked" onto your avatar on your own computer, saved there, and then uploaded to SL before it's fully visible there. If the necessary information is messed up in transmission, you may end up with a borked file on your computer, or SL's servers may end up with a borked image. Either way, your av's appearance defaults to a fluffy cloud. What works to repair the damage for one person won't necessarily work for the next person, and it may not be the same thing that works for you tomorrow. See the full list of possibilities here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_fail . Start with the simple things at the top of the list and work down until you find what works for you today.

That problem is going to take care of itself within a month or so, BTW.  Linden Lab is in the final stages of testing a system for Server Side Avatar Baking, which will mean moving all of our avatar appearance information onto their servers.  There will be no more back-and-forth transfer of data every time our avatars need updating.

Until then, you may find that the bake fail problem comes back repeatedly, even after you fix it with one of the suggestions on that wiki page. If so, you have a chronically weak Internet connection. There are many steps to take for repairing it. You are already on a wired connection insteqd of wireless, which can be a major problem for some users. It's probably smart to reboot your router, though. Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it clear its RAM. Then plug it back in and let it get a fresh hold on an IP address.

Your second problem -- downloading your stuff every time you log in -- is happening because your cache is too small. Your cache is there precisely to avoid that problem.  Your viewer caches textures and sounds tto save downloading all the time. You should make that cache as big as you can, given the amount of memory you have in the computer, and then should never clear it unless there is a problem. You also have an inventory cache on your hard drive that stores a working copy of your inventory, to save you from having to handle all inventory actions on the server. That one is updated when you log in, but should not normally take a long time unless you have a HUGE inventory or are in a busy sim.  If it is slow, you might try logging in at a quiet sim like Smith or Pooley, or downsizing your inventory.

Okay, tough love time. I have a computer that's over four years old, a $80 video card, my ISP is literally Some Guy Who Owns a Big Apartment Complex (speed less than 2 MB) and I connect to SL with a cable modem from Wal-Mart. AND SL RUNS LIKE A SCALDED CAT FOR ME. This suggests that the problem is closer to  your end. I'm not saying this is a personal failure or that you're a bad or stupid person, just that what you're seeing is probably not a problem with the SL infrastructure itself.

My guess is that you're having some sort of connection problem. SL runs several connections simultaneously and some setups have problems with this for one reason or another. The fact that you can run one connection at a theoretical 50mb/s rate doesn't mean vinegar to a rabbit if some of the parallel connections are blocked.

So, the first step in finding the source of your problem is knowing a little more about your situation. What viewer are you using and are you using an old account or a new one? Go to "Help - About Second Life" and copy-and-paste the info into your original post here by editing it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.